Default The best DSLR for me?

Hello! I am very new to DSLRs and photography, and will soon be taking the plunge and buying my first DSLR. I have read lots of reviews on the Internet to which entry level camera is best for me, but nothing is making it clearer! I want to take pictures of wildlife, landscape, people, and general things in every day life. I also want to take pictures of Ultimate frisbee which can be a very fast paced sport, and I have read some reviews saying some cameras are not good for sports photography. The Nikon D3200 keeps popping up as a good entry level DSLR, however I have also read this isn't good for sports photography? I know very little about cameras and lenses at the moment, so should I be aiming for a completely different camera to the Nikon D3200? Are there any other cameras out there suited for people on a budget but still want to do sports photography? Or do I need to buy additional lenses? All of the nikons I have seen come with an 18 to something lens (though this doesn't make much sense to me at the moment :P)

Any help or advice would be much appreciated! Thank you!

Images

Hi and welcome. my first bit of advice is get a shortlist of cameras then go and try them. when you buy a DSLR you buy into a system so make sure that system suits your needs. canon and nikon have the largest selection of lenses. if a camera feels right then thats a long way to go to being right make sure the buttons are in a comfortable place for you and that you like the menu systems, dont settle for i will get used to it. looking at your list then you will need extra lenses but these cameras come with a kit lens. i would look at that first and try and get used to using the camera, consider a college basic course in photography.
    in general you will require a telephoto for wildlife wide angle for landscape but for starters the kit lens would do. as you mentioned fast sport then you need fast focusing optical view finders are quickest. IMHO i would not look at an entry level as you will out grow it quickly

Hello! Yeah, I have heard that knowing you will be buying into a system is very important! Thank you for all of your advice! I suppose the best way to find out what camera is for me is to try them like you say! Does the optical view finder relate to the fps? What number of fps would be fast enough?
    If I don't get an entry level would I not find it difficultly to use? I wouldn't be able to get on to a college course for a few months yet because of work.

Might cost more than you want to pay but for excellent fast focus and rapid burst shooting with autofocus while shooting, along with super video, the Sony A65.
    I can't really recommend the A58 because it doesn't have the same continuous burst rate as the previous A57.

Their unique selling proposition is that they do not flip their mirror and can focus continuously.

You might also wish to look at some mirrorless system cameras which are more compact and can provide the same or better performance and features as SLR's. If you want a viewfinder then a Panasonic model or the Sony NEX6 might fit the bill. I quite fancy the Pana G6 myself, but it isn't exactly entry level.
    Thing is, you should expect a good quality camera to last several years, and possibly a decade or more of good use. If you look at it in that way, and considering that the camera itself is a bargain compared to extra lenses, then the difference in price between an entry level and a 'prosumer' camera is not that great while the performance and versatility difference can be substantial.

Images

it really wont take long to master a DSLR which is why i said dont go for an entry level look forward to what you want ot use it for. i have had a look at some ultimate frisbee and yes you will need to look at where you are situated that may involve a telephoto you will need a descent frame rate but 5 upwards should be ok. my own camera only has 4fps i get good shots of birds with that.
    most cameras come with an 18-55 nikon does do an 18-105 but that may still come up short i would be look at least a 70-200 or 100-400, i talk in canon, but nikon has similar sizes. look at using af-on its a method of using a button on the rear of the camera to focus this means the camera only has to take the picture when you hit the shutter release

Quote Originally Posted by wave View Post
    it really wont take long to master a DSLR f
    I wouldn't go that far. I am still learning how to get the best out of all my cameras and I have used some of them regularly for years.

But there's not a whole lot more to learn about using a mid to high end camera as there is for an entry level. The basic principles are the same and 'intelligent auto' is always there as a quick default for pointing-and-shooting.

The camera, any current entry level SLR, will do the job and it is up to the user to get good pictures out of it. Some will burst-shoot faster or slower, be better or worse in very low light and some will be far more versatile and acceptable for video than others, but they will all shoot stunning photos in the right hands.

The most important thing is to not stretch your budget too far. Work within what you can afford. That is probably the most important aspect for many people when choosing any camera or consumer product and is seldom mentioned by any retailer or pundit.

The main reason I mentioned a Sony model in this topic is the need for shooting a fast moving sport. While there are workarounds, this particular sport job would probably benefit from a reasonably fast burst mode while also focus tracking. It would probably also benefit from a very high quality video with continuous autofocusing for the fast moving subjects or whatever.
    Last edited by Huw Williams; 19-08-13 at 12:16 PM. Reason: additional content.

Images

maybe i should have said learnt to use a DSLR. the beauty today is that it wont cost a penny to take shots and you can learn by your successes and failures. look at the exif data and you can see your settings so you should be able to look at a shot and see what went wrong or right with it.
    you never stop learning with photography