Default What Camera to buy?

I am looking to get a good SLR, I have quite a bit of experience in photography but this will be my first digital SLR. I do have a budget of about 500, though i will spend more if i have to. I am really looking at a Nikon or a Canon. I have looked at everything from the D40, D90 (which is a bit out of my budget) and the EOS 500 and 1000.
    I want the camera for hobby and possible professional use.
    So if anyone can suggest the best one that would be great.
    Thankyou

If you're looking at Canon and Nikon and your budget is 500 your choice is restricted to the Nikon D3000 and and the Canon EOS 1000D among current cameras. If you shop around you can still find the now discontinued but very good Canon EOS 450D. You may also just be able to get a Nikon D5000, while for less than 100 more you could stretch to the Canon EOS 500D, which would probably be my choice.
    But none of these cameras are professional spec, and aren't designed for heavy profesional use. Also, for this budget you're only going to get the standard kit lens, which is adequate but not professional quality.
    To buy a pro spec DSLR and pro spec lens such as a 24-70mm f/2.8 type you'd need to be looking at a budget of at least 2000.

Default Dslr

Try to start with Nikon D40. it is the most user friendly among Nikon DSLR's. Don't just jump in buying expensive cameras like the Canon Mark 3 when you are just a beginner. It will waste a lot of money because this expensive DSLR's are very difficult to use.

Quote Originally Posted by Sallyann View Post
    I am looking to get a good SLR, I have quite a bit of experience in photography but this will be my first digital SLR. I do have a budget of about 500, though i will spend more if i have to. I am really looking at a Nikon or a Canon. I have looked at everything from the D40, D90 (which is a bit out of my budget) and the EOS 500 and 1000.
    I want the camera for hobby and possible professional use.
    So if anyone can suggest the best one that would be great.
    Thankyou
    Of those listed the EOS 500D would provide you with the most flexibility to quickly build upon in the future. Remember that, although there's no reason you couldn't produce and sell images/have a business based on the 500D, the lenses you're likely to want to attach to the camera make a significant difference to the shots that you can obtain. Never underestimate the overall cost that this can bring to your initial package. Start it up as a hobby, have fun with making and sharing images, then see where you go from there.