Thread: Buying a Camera

Hybrid View

Default Buying a Camera

Hi every one,

I am looking into buying a camera and I have found this wonderful site and I have read lots of the guides. At first I tought I was advancing, but now I have more questions ! So I am decided to ask some help.

First off, my budget around 500$, but i will willing to pay more if needed.

I am looking for a good quality picture camera, but i not an expert and I will use auto focus most of the time. I will use it to photograph every day normal life (well my normal :P ) which consist of taking pictures of friends and family and some outdooring. Lately, I have been taking lots of picture of my newborn and i find that my actual camera just sucks at low light situations.

Features that i want is :
    - Good quality pictures
    - Size of camera is not a issue. It does not have to fit in a pocket..
    - Anti-shake feature as good as possible.
    - Good quality videos. I was also think of buying camcorder, but if I can get both in the camera, i will be very happy.
    - Possibility to use on a tripod (but i dont think this is an issue for most camera)

My first instinct was looking into Bridge cameras thinking that quality was better then compact cameras. Changing lenses in a DSLR does not attract me for now. But then I read that sensor size if of most importance in a camera and that Bridge camera is no better then a compact. So now I am not sure what to choose.

I am willing to look at entry level DSLR if I can get a "general" lense that I can use in most situation like taking pictures of people. I might look into more lenses in the futur, but its not a priority for now.

Thanks in advance for any advice !!!

Images

hi and welcome lets start by looking at your requirements. most cameras will give quality pictures in good light the problems occur as you have said in low light, so a camera should have a larger sensor aps-c. this found on DSLR's and even larger full frame sensors. lets rule out full frame.
    you mention a new born so as children get older they move quicker to and if you want the moment then fast focusing is a must. IMHO electronic view finders are slow.
    So we come back to a DSLR most come with a kit lens and to be honest they are ok but invest in an external flash it will give you better pictures. from a lens point of view i would look at 18-135 or 18-105. depending on which you get depends on what vibration control you need. canon and nikon have it in the lens other makes have it in the body, it doesnt mean that the lenses are cheaper though.
    last if you go the DSLR route then think when you buy you buy into a system so makes sure it suits your needs canon and nikon have the largest choices. go and try out the camera see that it suits you ie feels right are the buttons in the right place for you, dont settle for i will get used to it are the menus easy for you. dont settle for i will get used to it and last you may need some lessons to get you on your way

Thanks Wave for answer !

I went to a store today and they were showing me pretty much Nikkon D3200 and Cannon Ti3.

I dont have time to do alot of research tonight, but i will look at the difference between these 2 models during the weekend.

But I did find people saying that the Ti4 is much better for auto-focus and video focus. So im wondering if the difference in $ is worth it since i would like to have good video quality.

Jo

Images

the latest from canon is the t5i. i dont do much video so cannot really comment sorry