Default DSLR, CSC, or Bridge which works best?

I am looking to get a new camera for work. I'm a zoo keeper but I am also working on a project where I will be needing to photograph farmland and coastal birds and insects. I therefore need something that deals with macro as well as the 'birds on a cliff face you can't reach' shots. I have done a bit of background reading on the WDC website so I understand a bit more but doesn't really help someone who is so indecisive. Do I go for an entry level DSLR (e.g. Nikon3200) and invest in lenses? Will CSC such as the G5 or NEX-6 be just as good and easier to carry? Or are their interchangeable lenses limited at present? Or is the super zoom bridge the best for wildlife shots and I take my compact with me for close up insects? I always think users opinions are better than glossy advertisements so I welcome any advice. Thank you.

Images

Hi ejcoory

It depends what you want - DSLR or Bridge. For what it's worth I am currently moving from DSLR to long zoom bridge camera to move away from having to carry lenses and to get a lighter camera. I have to say that this is a personal choice. I have just been looking at the new Panasonic Lumix FZ72 bridge camera with a lens that zooms from 20 to 1200 - it is available sometime this month.

Hope this helps.

David

I have quite a few cameras of different types, all relatively new. As a general knock-about camera you will not go far wrong with a good bridge camera like the Nikon P520 or its close rivals. Geotagging with GPS would probably be useful for you, considering the tasks expected.

If you want it all in a smaller form factor, then something like a Sony HX20V would suit you. This gives the advantage of actually being pocketable.

If however you will be expected to shoot in all weather and light conditions, then a weatherproof CSC [mirrorless] or an SLR with a couple of zooms covering from, say 18mm to 250mm, or a single zoom with that range, might be essential. Thinking of a Pani GH3 or a more affordable but bulkier Pentax K5 IIS. The Pentax should have remarkably detailed picture quality in theory, but I have no personal experience of it.

As a general rule, the larger the sensor then the better the low light performance. Also as a general rule, the small sensor compact and bridge cameras with high pixel counts might not give you the fine detail, almost certainly won't give such detailed pictures that can be cropped radically or printed large, as a big sensor camera.

Images

hi i think that we need to know what quality pictures you need for your project. the only bit of advice i would say is dont get an entry level DSLR you will grow out of it quickly

Quote Originally Posted by wave View Post
    hi i think that we need to know what quality pictures you need for your project. the only bit of advice i would say is dont get an entry level DSLR you will grow out of it quickly
    I don't really have the budget for going much higher than entry level. I guess that impacts heavily on quality of image. Ideally the photos would be for media use, but I'll settle for something I can enlarge and stick on my wall. I live on Jersey where we have just lost our Jessops and a local dealer which leaves me with one Sony shop. So I don't have much opportunity to get a feel for the camera. I guess I will take on board the advice then go with my gut feeling.

Thank you

Make sure you have a look at the Sony HX20V in that case. It is a compact with 20x zoom and some super features. Check out the price and reviews on Amazon and ask the shop to match it. Don't forget to budget about 10 for a good class10 16gig card.
    Good luck with whatever you decide to buy.

Images

have you thought about the second hand market for a DSLR or look at an older canon 600d