Hybrid View

Default Compact for music photography

Hi i am looking for a compact that is good in low light situations and must shoot raw. I often go to gigs and like to take photos but recently have seen sum venues not allowing people without photo passes to use “pro photography equipment” to shoot the shows i.e. me with my Dslr. Due to this and the fact I don’t have a means of getting a photo pass I am looking for a compact that as above is good in lowlight situations i.e. has a fixed aperture of 1.8 (or close to) across all it zoom ranges and does not show to much noise at high iso’s . Image quality is essential as well as being able to shoot raw as I wish to edit the photos and have prints made so good quality low noise images are necessary. I also would quite like to use the camera for some landscape work as I work in the outdoors and have missed several good photo opportunities as I ant take my dslr with me.
    I have been looking at the Canon Power Shot G15 (as I like the fact it has a viewfinder) as well as the Sony Cybershot DSC-RX100 as I have heard good things about both.
    My price range is a round the £350-£400 mark which I have found both cameras in.
    Sorry for the long post but any suggestions would be very welcome thanks chris

Images

Hi - have you tried looking at the reviews on the main WDC site? I may be worth looking at bridge cameras as well as compacts to get what you want.

I would think that you should be able to meet your requirements in the compact/bridge cameras within your price range. I've just been looking at the write-up for the new Panasonic GX7 which has an excellent viewfinder.

Hope this helps,

David

Hi thanks for the reply but not really looking for a camera with interchangeable lenses sorry i should of said (as with my dslr its to tempting to buy more and more lenses!) really just looking for a compact camera but thanks again

Quote Originally Posted by crobin1uk View Post
    Hi thanks for the reply but not really looking for a camera with interchangeable lenses sorry i should of said (as with my dslr its to tempting to buy more and more lenses!) really just looking for a compact camera but thanks again
    The RX100 sounds like just what you need. Large sensor for low light image quality and a discreet, compact design. Having looked at it a few weeks ago, I would consider an aftermarket handgrip worth having, because otherwise it appears to be quite a slippery little customer. I chose another brand of camera but my priority is different to yours.

Not sure if the RX100 has a 'silent' mode for discreet photography. Some cameras have this and it eliminates shutter sound, focus assist lamp and so on. Another thing to consider is that it does not have an optical viewfinder and you have to rely on the rear screen. In some cases the light from the screen can be embarrassing as it lights up your face and distracts those behind you. Check out how low you can set the screen brightness if this is a consideration.
    Last edited by Huw Williams; 04-08-13 at 01:36 PM.

Hi everyone,
    I'm also looking for something similar now that ILCs have been 'banned' @ gigs by many promoters so CSCs are outlawed as well.
    I need a longer reach zoom, RAW capability, good low light performance, stabilisation @ long lengths, fast lens aperture etc.

Any more suggestions ?

Images

Hi - I'm in a similar situation regards camera. I've looked at the Fuji FinePix SL1000 which provides all of these facilities plus more - I's the one I'm going for. Currently priced between £269.99 and £299.99

Hope this helps

David