Default Looking for my first DLSR - want high quality, more control, flexibility, good zoom

I'm looking to upgrade from my compact 12MB Canon IXUS to something that will give me higher quality images, more control over depth of field, flexibility (don't want to be swapping lenses all the time), and better zooming options, but I'm pretty bewildered by all the options out there. I want to make sure I get something that does what I need, the best for my budget. I don't want to spend more than 500. Any advice or recommendations? I would be taking pictures of people, wildlife, objects around the home and garden, and the usual kind of scene and people shots on holiday and at parties and events.

A friend of mine has a Canon EOS 60D which produces the most fantastic photos for her, but it's out of my price range, unfortunately. Someone suggested a bridge camera, but I've heard the image quality is not nearly as good as with DLSRs. I'd rather pay a bit more for something that does what I need and will last me years.

Any recommendations much appreciated!

Images

hi and welcome. first let me say if you dont want to change lenses then dont get a DSLR as you will have to get the right lens for the right job. you could try for an all in one zoom but if you want quality pictures then thats not the way to go. as for a bridge camera then look at something like a tz200 tz40 or a canon sx40. good luck

Given your budget limit the EOS 1100D is a good option. A really interesting camera right now is the EOS -M because its around 375 with a kit lens so you will have some change left for an extra lens . The EOS-M has an SLR sensor , can use all Canon lenses (through an adapter) , will give you the control and image quality you so desire and the best part is its portability for when you are travelling or even at home.....

Images

If you're happy with Canon stuff.....the 600D is available for under 500, on Amazon I think ?
    It's 18mp & produces gorgeous quality pics with the standard 18-55 zoom....the test shots I
    took were superb (in JPEG format, so I think shooting in RAW mode should be even better).
    It's not too heavy either, with the body weight 580gms, so carrying it around all day isn't a
    problem.........I'd love one myself, as my 50D plus lens (720gms body) starts to hang heavy
    after a couple of hours......
    Food for thought my friend !!

Images

Canon 600D, as above.......I've just bought one !!.....at least the body, as I've already got a number of compatible lenses....Yippee !!

Quote Originally Posted by Wana5D-II View Post
    Canon 600D, as above.......I've just bought one !!.....at least the body, as I've already got a number of compatible lenses....Yippee !!
    Bit of a downgrade from a 50D though