Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Macro problems.

Quote Originally Posted by hartley353 View Post
    My journey into macro Photograhpy has plateaued, I seem to have reached the point where my lenses have run out of sharpness. Range of focus of my 105mm2.8 is probably only 4mm at best, and my 60mm is only about 3mm. this limits the angles at which I may capture insects to directly above, if I wish to see its entirety in focus. Up to now I have resisted the Photoshop way of going, where focus stacking could work. Normally I have only 1 or 2 seconds to compose focus and frame my subject, so stacking is not a choice. Experiments with zoom lenses has shown it is possible to get good results if the lighting is up to scratch, so I am considering a 2.8-200mm zoom as an option. Any one tried this before I commit 1500 to the subject.
    Hi Mike
    Sorry to hear your problems, this hobby can be a pain and expensive. 1500 seems a lot, 123 Photographs (123 Photographs.co.uk) have a second hand Nikon 105mm 2.8 D series for 349, they also do a 7 day return if not satisfied. I bought mind from them (same model as just mentioned) and was over the moon with it. I also bought another item from them, was not happy with it and had no problems with returning it and getting a refund. Sorry can't offer any technical advice.
    ATB
    TK
    Last edited by Tillerykid; 22-07-13 at 01:59 AM.

Images

can i ask what your technique is for taking your shots.

Images

Thanks TK There is nothing wrong with my lenses, they work perfectly, but are not as good as I would like, giving me a 10 to 1 ratio of macros I bin.
    The 1500 was for a nikon 2.8 70-200 vr II which i've been after for a while. I dont use photoshop so I rely on getting it right first time.ATB Mike.

Images

Not a problem Wave. For macro I mostly use a tripod, camera in manual mode Aperture f16 and then use a light meter for my exposure time. At all times I am looking for a one shot result, as I have only basic editing system, and have no plans to enrich the suppliers. I am pretty certain that I am expecting to much of Macro lenses. What I was looking to do was use a tele lens to bring the object up close then crop down from a high M/pix file to end up with good images with good depth of field. Presently I have Sigma 105mm Macro and a Nikon 60mm Macro.

Another solution to your problem would be to use a compact camera for your macro shots. Because compact cameras have smaller sensors the resulting images will have more depth of field than from an SLR at the same apeture when focusing close to your subject ....

Another adavantage of macro shots from compacts is that the images appear to be more magnified than macro images from cameras with larger sensors .......

Images

Thanks DanCart. Would you believe I have been experimenting with my panasonic, on the same basis, I daren't buy another Camera my dearly beloved is already grumbling about how much equipment I have and according to her not using, she doesn't understand my theory that you are better off looking at it, than looking for it, she just see's clutter. Kind Regards Mike.

Images

hi can i make a quick suggestion as i think that the sigma is a good lens. I am sure nikon has the same feature as canon i would use live view mirror is locked up cable release and then put put the camera in continuous mode to shoot. try using the focus system in servo mode too or combinations of the my suggestions. if you already do these the sorry that i have suggested them.

as for editing you could always load the gimp it is free and very powerful

Images

Your comments are most welcome Wave.Using liveview out doors in recent sunshine was a failure, unles I go back to blackcloth over head. The continuose mode is one I've missed, but definitely worth a try. servo mode is another I haven't tried. Today is wet so indoors practice on the cards. Regards ..Mike.

Images

the other feature you could try is mirror lock up

Images

Now i've had a good old experiment with all the information gleaned, I can say that there is an improvement, its not massive, but its a start. The second point is that Dragonflies are not a suitable subject for macro lenses. Many thanks to all...Mike