Thread: Which Sony?

Hybrid View

Images

Default Which Sony?

Hi,

Sadly my much loved Sony A700 has suffered liquid damage and now is no more

So I'm on the market for another Sony DSLR, but am a little stuck over which one to opt for and would greatly appreciate some advice.

I loved my A700 so much, the build quality was superb, it took beautiful images, worked well and ergonomically felt good to hold and use.

I would quite happily buy another A700 which I can pick up used for around 300. However was wondering whether there was anything else around now that would be better. I dont really want to spend 900 again... and would rather have the older A700 over a cheaper plasticy feeling new one.

Im not desperate for video and the same for live view. I wasn't so keen on the Sony EVF when it came out either and much preferred the A700's OVF. Has this now improved though?

The specs of some of the newer Sonys certainly do look impressive though. Im also happy to buy used.

Many thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by garethpletts View Post
    Hi,

Sadly my much loved Sony A700 has suffered liquid damage and now is no more

So I'm on the market for another Sony DSLR, but am a little stuck over which one to opt for and would greatly appreciate some advice.

I loved my A700 so much, the build quality was superb, it took beautiful images, worked well and ergonomically felt good to hold and use.

I would quite happily buy another A700 which I can pick up used for around 300. However was wondering whether there was anything else around now that would be better. I dont really want to spend 900 again... and would rather have the older A700 over a cheaper plasticy feeling new one.

Im not desperate for video and the same for live view. I wasn't so keen on the Sony EVF when it came out either and much preferred the A700's OVF. Has this now improved though?

The specs of some of the newer Sonys certainly do look impressive though. Im also happy to buy used.

Many thanks!
    Hey it was depends on you how u care about that A700 was fantastic i also have that.i suggest you buy that again and give some more care about that https://www.luxaim.com/

Hi Gareth,

Sorry to hear about your A700. The natural choice if you're looking to replace it is with the A77 - the A700's long awaited replacement launched back in 2011. It's a fantastic piece of kit dripping with a host of features to keep the serious photographer happy - image quality is excellent from the 24.3MP sensor, the performance rapid, the chassis constructed from magnesium alloy, and while it features an EVF as opposed to an optical viewfinder, its one of the best around.

It can be picked up new for 779 body-only, so it may be a nit pricey for what you want to spend, while there seems to be limited examples secondhand. A more affordable alternative is the A65 - sharing many of the features of the A77, perhaps the biggest difference is the finish, with the A65 sporting an all-plastic body. While its not quite as satisfying to hold as the A77, its still been nicely put together and good used examples can be found for 300. If it came down to the A700 and A65, we'd opt for the newer A65 thanks to its newer technology and ultimately better images.