Thread: Lens Fungus.

Images

Default Lens Fungus.

Recently I took my old Minolta film camera out for its annual airing, after shooting 24 exposures I wiped it down and rewound the film, and removed it. For the shoot I put on the 70-200 Vivitar zoom lens, by chance I looked through the lens and could see what looked like a grease smear on an internal lens this covered about 20%of the glass from the side out. My immediate thought was Fungus, have just got my film back from developers, and all exposures are fine. Now I am wondering how much of the glass do we actualy use after light has passed through the front glass, and will the growth spread,12 months till I find out. Lens is 38 yrs old now.

Images

I think as its internal then it may be a lens strip down

Images

Thank you for reply Wave. The conclusion I had come to was just that strip the lens, and photograph its dismantle so that I may be able to re-assemble. After placing post I did some research and it appears that this fungus can grow slowly enough to scratch the glass, any how cross that bridge when I come to it, should be an interesting project and no harm done if I mess up.....Mike.

Images

It wasnt easy to dismantle but it is done, the fungus turned out to be lubricant, and has been cleaned. The lens must have been subjected to extreme heat to cause the grease to run, probably in my car on a hot day. Only determination and stubbornness has allowed me to complete repair, the lens shows signs of my tampering, and I wouldn't do it again.