Hybrid View

Images

Default Second hand full frame camera: 5D Mk1 v's 1D Mk2

Hi All,

I joined the forum because I'm in need of some expert advice. Recently I've been putting some thought into upgrading from my current 450D to a full frame model. As I'm on a relatively tight budget I'm limited to second hand, and as I have a few lenses and a film body that I'd like to keep using I'm going to stick with Canon. That said, two camera that have caught my eye are the 5DMk1 and the 1D Mk2 as they both seem to go for around the same price on eBay and they both seem to have similarly good reviews.

I am aware that there 5D has a larger sensor than the 1D Mk2 but does that mean better IQ?
    Can any body give me advice on which model I should go for? Or should I go for something else entirely?

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Both cameras - image quality is good as both are top end cameras. The 5D has more resolution 12.8mp while the 1D II has "only" 8.2mp .

The difference in image quality comes at the higher ISO ranges - the 5D goes up to ISO 3200 natively while the 1D II only goes up to ISO 1600 ( ISO 3200 if you go into the custom functions and extend it) . If you plan to shoot at high ISO speeds and you need more resolution the 5D is a better choice .....

The 1D II being a professional camera has advantages over the 5D such as
    1) it has dual card slots (SD & CF) and it can record images to both cards simultaneously however with SD cards as far as I am aware it only takes older SD cards i.e. 2GB or less - they are a bit hard to find in bricks and mortar stores but Amazon still has some .......
    2) The 1D II also has more custom functions and a better auto-focus system (45 point ) than the 5D (the 5D has only 9
    3) the 1D II has other amazing extra features like the view finder blind were if you are shooting remotely the the viewfinder can be closed to prevent light entering the camera through the view finder during an exposure

4) the 1D II can shoot at 8.5 frames per second while the 5D can only do 3 frames per second

There are so many extra features and functions on the 1D II since its designated a professional camera compared to the 5D so in terms of a useable versatile customizable camera with fast frames per second , great auto-focus for tracking and shooting moving subjects like wildlife and sport persons the 1D II is the clear winner .

If however you want more resolution and better imeges at ISO 1600 and ISO 3200 the 5D is the better choice

Images

Thanks Dan your answer has really helped. The reason I want to go full frame is to up grade is just to get a finer image quality so if there isn't much in the difference between the quality those extra features probably tip the balance in favour of the 1D. Also I hear you can shoot with it in the rain worry free, which is occasionally useful for the british photographer. The only concern I have with buying an older model camera is that the batteries might be a bit heavy and/or not hold their charge too long. Have you had any experience with this?
    Thanks again.
    James

Images

Hi not sure what lenses you have but a good piece of glass may give you better images. the 1dmk2 is quiet a few years old so a camera like a 550d or 7d would be a better bet IMHO

Quote Originally Posted by Jamesac View Post
    Thanks Dan your answer has really helped. The reason I want to go full frame is to up grade is just to get a finer image quality so if there isn't much in the difference between the quality those extra features probably tip the balance in favour of the 1D. Also I hear you can shoot with it in the rain worry free, which is occasionally useful for the british photographer. The only concern I have with buying an older model camera is that the batteries might be a bit heavy and/or not hold their charge too long. Have you had any experience with this?
    Thanks again.
    James
    Hi , the batteries are only about twice as heavy as the battery of an entry level SLR and yes, the biggest issue with second hand cameras is batteries , occasionally you may be lucky to buy a camera from somenone who has newer batteries but I wouldnt bet on it. The good thing about the 1D II is that being a professional camera there are still some shops with some brand new batteries (listed from cheapest to most expensive):

http://www.batterycenter.co.uk/batte...FRMPtAoddEQAPg

http://uk.laptopbatterylife.com/cano...FXLLtAod_G8AHw

http://www.parkcameras.com/1980/Cano...FQTMtAodNUkAOg

The weather sealing on the 1D is definitely another great extra , I also would go for the 1D II as there is so much you will get from that camera and there is also quite a bit you would learn and discover while using it !

Quote Originally Posted by Jamesac View Post
    Thanks again.
    James
    Yes , with second hand cameras chances are the battery you get will be quite used - its rare to get a good one unless you are buying the camera from a reputable dealer, The nice thing about the 1D 2 is that being a professional camera there are still some online stores with brand new batteries for it - check out : laptopbatterylife dot com and they have them for under 30 pounds with a price match promise ; another store the batterycentre also has some in stock also at less than 30 pounds .

The weather sealing on the 1D is also better and with the 1D you will be getting a better all round camera that will last you a while ...

Images

Thanks this has really helped. Time to head over to eBay...