Default How do old Lenses compare with new ones?

I given up using point and shoot and bridge cameras because of their slow focus and write times and have belatedly decided to join the DSLR scene. I have Minolta mount lenses bought new in 1995 including a Sigma 70-300mm f4-5.6 Apochromatic and Minolta AF 24Ė85mm f3.5-4.5 which would work on a Sony DSLT, but I donít really know how they compare with modern digital optics for quality, operating speed etc. I am considering the A65, A77 or even the A99 but if my lenses were likely to fall significantly short of new equivalents, I could be persuaded to look at Canon or Nikon offerings or maybe CSCís instead. I will have to buy at least one new lens even if I stick with Sony (unless I go for the A99), because I want to retain at least a 24mm wide equivalent.
    I also have a Minolta 5400HS flashlight but I understand that it isnít compatible with the new Sony models.
    I would appreciate any comments or advice, especially as regards the lenses issue.

Images

Hi Lance welcome to the forum.

I don't know about old Minolta lenses, but do use a lot of Nikon's old film lenses and have to say they work well on a modern DSLR .Only problem is, if it is one is you have to manual focus them. I do a lot of macro shooting use manual focusing almost all the time . .. Graham

Thanks for that Graham. I am aware of Nikon's renowned quality and whilst my lenses are autofocus and I expect them to still work in AF, they are probably more mid-range optics and it is how they will compare to today's offerings as far as quality and speed of operation are concerned.

All you ever want to know about Minolta/Sony/A-mount lenses:

http://www.dyxum.com/lenses/

Jerry

Thankyou very much Jerry. That is a brilliant site with some really helpful information.

Quote Originally Posted by Lance Hurly View Post
    I given up using point and shoot and bridge cameras because of their slow focus and write times and have belatedly decided to join the DSLR scene. I have Minolta mount lenses bought new in 1995 including a Sigma 70-300mm f4-5.6 Apochromatic and Minolta AF 24–85mm f3.5-4.5 which would work on a Sony DSLT, but I don’t really know how they compare with modern digital optics for quality, operating speed etc. I am considering the A65, A77 or even the A99 but if my lenses were likely to fall significantly short of new equivalents, I could be persuaded to look at Canon or Nikon offerings or maybe CSC’s instead. I will have to buy at least one new lens even if I stick with Sony (unless I go for the A99), because I want to retain at least a 24mm wide equivalent.
    I also have a Minolta 5400HS flashlight but I understand that it isn’t compatible with the new Sony models.
    I would appreciate any comments or advice, especially as regards the lenses issue.
    These old lenses are not compatible with new models so you need to get new ones very soon...It is wastage of money but you don't have any other option

Thanks Matthew. I still believe that my lenses are compatible, but not up to the quality of some brand new models. Following up on Jerry's post showed that the Sigma 70 - 300 APO lens is not great but the Minolta 24 - 85 still rated well.

Quote Originally Posted by MathewBrewer;11185[U
    ]I given up using point and shoot and bridge cameras because of their slow focus and write times and have belatedly decided to join the DSLR scene. I have Minolta mount lenses bought new in 1995 including a Sigma 70-300mm f4-5.6 Apochromatic and Minolta AF 24Ė85mm f3.5-4.5 which would work on a Sony DSLT, but I donít really know how they compare with modern digital optics for quality, operating speed etc. I am considering the A65, A77 or even the A99 but if my lenses were likely to fall significantly short of new equivalents, I could be persuaded to look at Canon or Nikon offerings or maybe CSCís instead. I will have to buy at least one new lens even if I stick with Sony (unless I go for the A99), because I want to retain at least a 24mm wide equivalent.
    I also have a Minolta 5400HS
    http://www.robustbuy.com/led-lightin..._1027_730.html but I understand that it isnít compatible with the new Sony models.

These old lenses are not compatible with new models so you need to get new ones very soon...It is wastage of money but you don't have any other option
    [/U]
    Ok I will check the compatibility again