Hybrid View

Unhappy Hoya 52mm Pro-1 Polariser disappointed

Hi all,

I recently joined this forum to ask advice about buying my first polariser filter, and ended up going for the Hoya 52mm Pro-1 from Amazon for 33.
    I've never owned or used a filter before, but having tried this one out a few times now, I have to say I'm pretty disappointed

From searching the net, I was expecting some results like these:

http://leadinglinesphotography.net/w...-3-540x390.jpg

Obviously I realise it's never going to "make an awesome photo" out of nothing, but I was hoping for richer blue skies, deeper colours overall a much more intense or vivid looking image, that would result in less time spent editing in Photoshop.

Here are some results from a day trip to Brighton last weekend, straight off the camera. It was a gorgeous day, clear blue skies, but I have to say I think the polariser almost makes the images look worse...! The sky & sea look brown & muddy! The shots without it feel lighter and crisper. The only positive difference I can see is how it cuts out the reflections on some still water.

http://tim-george.co.uk/img/img/polariser-1.jpg
    http://tim-george.co.uk/img/img/polariser-2.jpg
    http://tim-george.co.uk/img/img/polariser-3.jpg

Any advice appreciated on this matter... was I just expecting too much? Have I shot the wrong subject matter for these tests? Should I clean my lens and try again?

Thanks!

(Camera is a Nikon D90 with 35mm f1.8 lens)

Images

Hi To get the best out of a polariser , you need to be at right angles to the sun, so the sun is hitting your left or right shoulder. Some polariser's have a small dot or arrow on the outside rim, if yours has ( most Hoya C/P's do) just twist the dot to line up with the sun for maximum effect. Hope this helps... Graham
    There is nothing worse than a sharp image of a fuzzy concept.. Ansel Adams

Images

graham has it right, can i ask how you shoot raw or jpg. it maybe your technique thats wrong and looking at the beach shot then there will be high contrast between the sky and beach so you need a nd grad to for the sky.

Images

Hi Tim,
    Sorry to hear you were disappointed with the Polarizer, just wanted to check that you turned the polarizing dial to get the best result (I've forgot sometimes). I noticed as well that no clouds were present in the sky, that's what the polarizers make pop when adjusted correctly. It also looks like the sun may have been in front of you and to your left, keep on trying practice makes perfect. The polarizer can also stop down your exposure time so you might need to adjust that. One other thing always edit your shots (if you got the software) and try to master shooting in raw.
    Last edited by Tillerykid; 03-06-13 at 11:20 PM.

Images

Hi Tim,

If you look at my last post in the landscape gallery, you will see what I considered a lovely shot of Three Cliffs Bay on the Gower Coast. I used a 95mm Hi Tech Polarizer on this shot, yet the sky to the right is much brighter than that to the left. The sun was definitely at right angles to me (90 degrees), it was 6.30pm and the sun was dropping to the west, yet the sky was not as I expected. So next time I'll try and get the sun more behind me and see what happens, hope this account keeps you trying with your polarizer and let us know what happens.

All The Best
    TK

Hi everyone, thanks for the helpful replies, and sorry it took me so long to come back and check this thread.

I didn't know that you had to turn the polarizer to a certain position, so I will definitely try that next time! Mine does indeed have a little arrow on it.

I always shoot in high-quality JPG, as RAW has always seemed a bit complicated & scary to me. I have Photoshop CS6 so I do have the ability to edit in RAW...perhaps I should give it a go. What are the main advantages? More flexibility in editing?

Thanks again

Images

Hi Tim, I thought that might be the case, I think Graham and Wave are more experience than me to explain raw, but I'll try. When you shoot in RAW you are giving yourself a blank canvas, you decide the outcome of the image by the adjustments you make. I don't know what the raw convertor is like in CS6, I use Lightroom 4 and that's excellent. Even after making my adjustments I always tweak the results in my CS3. If you go on You Tube there's a guy called Serge Ramelli he gives excellent tutorials for the raw convertor in Lightroom. Remember practice makes perfect, so give it a go, you have to alter your settings in your camera first from JPEG to Raw so check your cameras manual. Hope this helps.
    All The Best
    TK
    Last edited by Tillerykid; 17-06-13 at 02:25 PM.

Alright cool, maybe I will give it a go.

By the way –*I assume there is no point using the polarizer when there's no sunshine, or if your indoors...?