Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default How Does Graham Do It

Hi Graham,

Love your insect photos, how do you keep the insects in focus etc but black out the background. I notice you and another person talking about a ring flash, what is that. Thanks for your concern about the D600.

Images

Hi Thanks for your kind comments.a ring flash has two components the 1st part is the control panel which mounts onto the cameras hotshoe and the 2nd part which is the lightening part screws into the lens thread usually via an adaptor which are normally supplied with the ring flash. It was invented by a dentist for taking photos of the mouth. Some people swear by these for macro shots others detest them. I'm sort of in the middle but prefer using an old fashioned flashgun.
    I would recommend you get a book called Understanding Exposure 3rd edition and it's by Bryan Peterson. He describes everything in a really simple form and is easy to follow (which I needed).
    I took the shot of the butterfly at f22 shutter speed around 200 iso 100. Because the aperture was so small it made everything black then it was only a matter of lighting the subject with my flashgun (off camera).
    Hope this helps. Any other questions fire away. regards Graham.

Thank You

Quote Originally Posted by graham_c View Post
    Hi Thanks for your kind comments.a ring flash has two components the 1st part is the control panel which mounts onto the cameras hotshoe and the 2nd part which is the lightening part screws into the lens thread usually via an adaptor which are normally supplied with the ring flash. It was invented by a dentist for taking photos of the mouth. Some people swear by these for macro shots others detest them. I'm sort of in the middle but prefer using an old fashioned flashgun.
    I would recommend you get a book called Understanding Exposure 3rd edition and it's by Bryan Peterson. He describes everything in a really simple form and is easy to follow (which I needed).
    I took the shot of the butterfly at f22 shutter speed around 200 iso 100. Because the aperture was so small it made everything black then it was only a matter of lighting the subject with my flashgun (off camera).
    Hope this helps. Any other questions fire away. regards Graham.
    Hi Graham, home now so I'm going to reorder the D600, while I'm doing it I was thinking about looking at the macro lens. Would a Nikon 50mm f1.8 G series prime lens be ok or would it be better to get something different. While I was away I used my 24 - 85mm G series lens on the bluebell shot in the nature category.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Tillerykid View Post
    Hi Graham, home now so I'm going to reorder the D600, while I'm doing it I was thinking about looking at the macro lens. Would a Nikon 50mm f1.8 G series prime lens be ok or would it be better to get something different. While I was away I used my 24 - 85mm G series lens on the bluebell shot in the nature category.
    Hi Tillerkid
    Hope you had a good holiday and the weather held up for you.

Had a look at your Bluebell photo and was impressed the 24 85mm is a really good lens. The 50mm G lens is a great lens to have in your bag I have the older version of it , but it is not a macro.

Nikon do a few macro lenses ( they call them micro for some unknown reason), they start form 40mm up to 200mm. I would think the 40mm and the 60mm would be fine for flowers but for bugs you would be looking at the 105mm
    Sigma Tamron and Tonika all do macro lenses , all are very good quality and all do Nikon mounts. I have the sigma 105 which I'm very happy with.Regards... Graham

Hi Graham, thanks for advice gain, decided to stick with the Nikon 24 ~ 85mm lens for macro shots for the time being. I think it worked well on the Cornish Bluebells (reedited and put in competition) so I'll see how it goes. Reordered the Nikon D600 from Amazon, had to pay full price this time 1450 so I hope I get a good one. Enjoy your bank holiday weekend I'm going down the Gower hopefully.

Images

Hi Tillerkid, I've got my fingers & toes crossed your new, new camera will be everything you expected.

Oddly enough I'm looking at the 24 85mm or the Samyang 85mm prime as my next lens.If you don't mind I may ask you a few questions on it. We are going down the Ayrshire coast ( Dunure castle & Seamill) for the bank holiday hoping to get some good shots, have a good time in Gower ... Graham

No Problem, enjoy Ayrshire coast.

Quote Originally Posted by graham_c View Post
    Hi Tillerkid, I've got my fingers & toes crossed your new, new camera will be everything you expected.

Oddly enough I'm looking at the 24 85mm or the Samyang 85mm prime as my next lens.If you don't mind I may ask you a few questions on it. We are going down the Ayrshire coast ( Dunure castle & Seamill) for the bank holiday hoping to get some good shots, have a good time in Gower ... Graham
    Hi Graham, hope your weekend is going well, we have not gone anywhere as I fell down the stairs last night, my ankle is very sore and strapped up. Just looked on Amazon at the Nikon 24 ~ 85mm G series lens, and there are some very good offers. I bought mind from their warehouse deals for 372, at the moment you can get them on there for 314. The beauty of Amazon is you get the 30 day return period, I buy everything off there, just been checking to see if they got any stair hand rails.
    Last edited by Tillerykid; 26-05-13 at 11:46 AM.

Images

Hi Tillerkid

Sorry to hear about you mishap, at least nothing is broken. We went down to Dunure for the bank holiday, good weather Sunday, today was a serious washout though.

Thanks for your help with the lens I'll take a look later tonight, I'm also looking at the Samyang 85mm as well, the thing I like about this lens is it's a prime, although it won't auto focus , shouldn't be a problem as i rarely auto focus on macro. \take care of your ankle... Graham