Thread: Leica M240

Hybrid View

Default Leica M240

Hello WDC,

All over the web, I have seen a lot of interest generated in the new Leica M240.

Does WDC plan to review this camera in the new future ?

Also, although a rangefinder is a different type of camera, how about doing a comparison of the Leica M240 v A "top of the range" DSLR (EG A Nikon D800) ?

See what you think ?

Many thanks

freedriv082000

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/re...ressions.shtml

I suspect like all Leicas below the S2 they're badge engineered status symbols that work as cameras.
    Ditto APS-C Hasselblads.
    If you can carry around a D800 use that, if not get a D610. If you get a disappointing result, I will eat my hat.
    Unless you are planning to take fast action in low light, ie sports or News, why would you need the iso range of the Df or D4, the extended ISO is there for when any image as long as it's sharp will do.
    The guy on the link above favoured the Fuji X-Pro1 and look at the price difference. They sell red Leica spots on ebay for 12.
    Last edited by SMA11FRY; 27-11-13 at 05:47 PM.

Badge-engineered? The M240, like all previous M cameras, is built by Leica in Germany - why do you think it's almost impossible to find one at the moment? There are Leica videos showing how it takes a day to assemble one camera!
    The guy at Luminous Landscape missed autofocus on it, but the lack of it is precisely what the Leica M series is about!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by SMA11FRY View Post
    http://www.luminous-landscape.com/re...ressions.shtml

I suspect like all Leicas below the S2 they're badge engineered status symbols that work as cameras.
    Ditto APS-C Hasselblads.
    If you can carry around a D800 use that, if not get a D610. If you get a disappointing result, I will eat my hat.
    Unless you are planning to take fast action in low light, ie sports or News, why would you need the iso range of the Df or D4, the extended ISO is there for when any image as long as it's sharp will do.
    The guy on the link above favoured the Fuji X-Pro1 and look at the price difference. They sell red Leica spots on ebay for 12.
    I can safely say this is the single most ridiculous thing I have yet read on here. The M240 is just the latest in line of M-series Leicas, a series that dates back to 1954. It's as real a Leica as they get, not remotely badge engineered, and intended very much as a camera, not a status symbol.