Default Panasonic DMC-GX1 choosing strange settings

I have just bought a Panasonic DMC-GX1, testing it out in Programme (P) mode which I hoped would behave sensibly, but am finding something odd.

With the kit 14-42 lens (H-PS14042) everything is fine. I took some photos of my daughter in the sunshine and they look superb. The metadata for a typical photo shows 1/250s, f/5, ISO 160 on focal length 14mm.

But I also have the 45-175 power zoom (H-PS45175) and this is where things are going strange. In the same sunny outdoors setting it decided to shoot with 1/2500s, f/18, ISO 12800!! (This is at focal length 72mm). As a result the photo shows very obvious noise, especially on skin tones.

This lens has Optical Image Stabilisation so I don't see why it decided to go with such an excessively short shutter speed; and even if it needed this, why should it close down as far as f/18? This lens is f4-5.6 at maximum aperture.

Camera body firmware is 1.1 and lens firmware is also 1.1. Camera firmware is latest. I see that there is a version 1.2 lens firmware available, but the release notes just say "Speed of AF, consecutive shooting performance of AFC is enhanced in use with DMC-GH3.". No mention of GX1 or of programme mode.

Has anybody seen this before, or have any suggestions for why it might be doing this? Obviously I could just go with aperture priority, but even then I still don't want the camera choosing ridiculous shutter speed and sensitivity.

Many thanks,

Brian.

Images

hi and welcome first you could have a faulty lens try cleaning the contacts then also look at the switch for wide and telephoto

Smile Solved: Turn It Off And On Again [TM]

Quote Originally Posted by wave View Post
    hi and welcome first you could have a faulty lens try cleaning the contacts then also look at the switch for wide and telephoto
    Thanks for that. Well I did some more outdoor tests, this time with the 14-42 lens, and again it was choosing ISO 12800 (regardless of exposure adjustment). I even went to Menu > Rec > ISO Limit Set and set that to 400, and it still chose 12800.

So in the end I simply reset everything to defaults (Menu > Setup > Reset) and now it's fine.

I guess I must have accidentally twiddled some setting - it would be nice to know what it was so I can avoid it next time, but at least the problem is solved.

Regards,

Brian.

Ah... so the "cursor up" button also doubles up as ISO set. I guess I must have triggered this while trying to select something off a menu. And whilst auto ISO by default will never choose anything higher than ISO 1600, manually you can set up to 12800. At least I know now!

Note to Panasonic: plain engravings in silver buttons are very hard to read, even in good light. White on black would be much better.

Cheers, Brian.