Default Yet another newbie buying thread

Hi guys,

My first post here so go easy

I'm looking at getting back into digital photography. My last camera was years ago and was the Sony F707 (~2001?), so as you can appreciate I am like a total newbie again.

My budget is ~700 to get a camera and lens. I've been scouring the net looking for consistant reccomendations and am still a little confused. I've seen lots of good stuff about the Canon 650d/700d models, but have also seen quite a lot about the slightly pricier Nikon D7100. I know the latter's main positives are much more AF points and better resolution, but I know that doesn't always mean it's a better camera.

I'm obviously not tied to any manufacturer so just looking for some advice on an all-round amateur photography camera that should last me a fews years.

Thanks.

Images

Hi and welcome. What i would next is go and try these cameras out, you dont have any roots in either the nikon or canon camp so its go and see what suits you. Remember when you buy a DSLR you buy into a system so make sure that system suits your needs, is the menu system to your liking how does it feel, if it feels right then thats a long way to being right dont settle for i will get used to it. Good luck

Images

Good way to start is to buy a couple of magazines, eg Amateur Photographer, What digital Camera then look through the advertisers find the cameras which are in your price bracket. and have the facilities you require. Then make a short list and go on the net for further information when you have made a decision as to what suits you, go to a local retailer and have a hands on. What you end up with is then what you want,we all have different tastes so not easy to recommend for others.
    Last edited by hartley353; 18-05-13 at 02:19 PM.

Images

Hi I only recently got back into photography and after reading many reviews went for the canon 550d. It's a great camera, has everything I need and as it has been superseded by later models I got it at a bargain price and therefore could get some lenses to go with it. Gareth.

Thanks for the advice guys I went into my local store and walked out with a Nikon D7000 and 18-105 lens to start me off. Very happy