Hybrid View

Default Best camera for action shots of Motorbikes?

Can anyone suggest a camera that can take pictures of motorbikes moving at speed - that is not going to cost me over a 1000? I want it as a present for my other half. He is technically minded and has various cameras but I know none of them are able to take the photos he would like to take of motorbikes. I am not technically minded and would appreciate a list of models to look at! I have been going round in circles looking at the various advice offered on the internet. Your advice would be very welcome.

Hi and welcome. Most cameras can take pics of moving vehicles. It's just knowing how - see Panning http://digital-photography-school.co...oving-subjects

1. Tell us what your budget is?

2. And if you're printing the images (if so what size) or just for web use and small 6"x4" prints?

Cheers!

Thank you Chris for your reply.
    In answer to your questions:
    I can spend up to 500 I realise this isn't a big budget having seen the price of some of the cameras I looked at previously.
    I think it is unlikely that he will print the images and more likely to keep them on his computer and other gadgets. If he is pleased with any I am sure we will all be given them as small prints!
    Thank you for the link - I will have a look tomorrow and ensure he also sees it. I haven't told him yet I am thinking of getting a camera for him as I wanted it to be a surprise if I could possibly get one.
    Thank you

Well 500 is a good price so we should be able to sort something out for you.

However, would hate to recommend something he already has. So can you tell us anything about them? For example. Have they got a fixed lens? Or has he got separate lenses. If you can get some model names and numbers that would help.

Images

Yes to second what Chris has said it may be a case of some photo technique thats required

Hello
    I have tried to find out what he has but he is avoiding my questions! I live 200 miles away so havent been able to have a look! The only thing I know is his camera was an old Panasonic (I think it may have been his fathers so it will be old) which he was very unhappy with. He has a FujiFilm Finepix T200 that he uses most frequently at the moment. But I have seen the look in the eye when he sees the cameras others have!
    His requirements he would like (his words) are:
    'OPTICAL ZOOM : The higher the better.
    SPEED : Higher is better for bike racing only the fastest will do,(I need to share with him your panning advice !)
    SIZE : if it is too big I won't take it out with me so it's useless , too small the lens is not going to be good.' He then said, 'happy with bulky if fast.'
    MEGA PIXELS : Higher is better'

Apologies this doesnt help you very much at the moment. I am going to see him on Wednesday so if I can find the Panasonic I may be able to give you more information then.

Well the Fuji T 200 has a 10 times zoom so that's a help.

Okay well I'm gonna recommend the Panasonic FZ 200 http://www.photographyblog.com/revie..._fz200_review/

It's in the middle with regards size ( looks big but not in the hand) has a 24x optical zoom but can go higher if not printing large sizes (reduces the Mega pixels). It's good in low light across the whole zoom range due to the fact the lens allows more light in and it has a burst speed of 12 frames per second, making it ideal for capturing the action.

All in all. This is a great camera and I'm sure he would love it. See if you can handle one before you buy. And yes, he would still need to learn the Panning technique.

Cheers!
    Last edited by Chris Cool; 29-04-13 at 10:30 AM.