Question Life-proof camera recommendations

Hi, I'm new to this forum but in need of a bit of advice. I'm off to Bonaire in a couple of weeks time to do some fieldwork and I'm looking for a new camera to take with me. I've had a bit of bad luck with past cameras (I lost two in Madagascar - one fell in a river and the other got blocked up with sand).

What I really need is a camera that can take the tough conditions of fieldwork (waterproof, sandproof, shockproof etc.). I've seen that there are quite a few rugged cameras on the market, I've had a look at the what digital camera review, which is helpful but I was wondering if anyone had any experience of using any of these and could give me some feedback.

I'd still like to be able to take fairly good photos, but I need a camera that can withstand slightly tougher conditions.

Any thoughts would be really appreciated
    Thanks!

Whay sort of budget do you have ?
    Do you want a compact, bridge or interchangable lense Dslr ?

If dslr I'd certainly have a look at the Pentax k30

Have a good trip.

Andy

Hi Andy, thanks for your reply. I think I'm looking for a compact camera - I don't have too much of a budget (200-250) and I'm not really a photography expert so it doesn't need to be anything too flash. Just enough to get decent photos.

Thanks,
    Caroline

Quote Originally Posted by cfmward View Post
    Hi Andy, thanks for your reply. I think I'm looking for a compact camera - I don't have too much of a budget (200-250) and I'm not really a photography expert so it doesn't need to be anything too flash. Just enough to get decent photos.

Thanks,
    Caroline
    Hi Caroline,

Dunno if you've seen this weeks (sat 27th) issue amateur photographer where they've tested 7 'tough' compacts, price ranging between 160 - 350.00
    They rate the canon powershot d20 (255 approx) and nikon coolpix aw110 (280 approx) quite highly although there are other makes tested, with waterproofing/freezeproofing and shockproofing ratings given for all.

Hope it helps.

Andy

Images

hi there is another way to look at this and that is get a cheap camera and save your pictures on frequent basis