Images

Default FX Lens On A DX Body

Hi

What would be the effect if you used a Nikon FX lens on a Nikon DX body. Would a 28mm FX lens perform the same as a 28mm DX lens, or would the crop factor create a zoom effect when using the FX lens and take you to a view similar to 42mm.

Many Thanks
    Gary

Images

hi and welcome there is avery good article in photography life styles on this. from what i understand fx is the larger format and dx is the crop that has to be taken in to consideration.

Images

Thanks Wave, what is Photography Lifestyle's?. Is it a magazine?

Images

no its a web site

Hi Gary,

Because your DX-format DSLR has a smaller surface area than a full-frame chip, a 28mm lens (whether its DX of FX) will give a 35mm focal length equivalent of 42mm because of the sensor's 1.5x crop factor, so you're spot on.

You've probably got a 18-55mm DX lens that camera with your DSLR, which gives a 35mm focal length equivalent of 27-82.5mm.

Hope that helps,

Phil

Images

Thanks Phil,
    What would happen if you reversed the situation and put a DX lens on a FX body.
    Kind Regards
    Gary

Hi Gary,

What you'll find (though it does vary from lens to lens) is that corners of the frame will be blacked out if you use them in their native form. Nikon full frame DSLRs can be set-up with a DX crop mode, which will see a 1.5x crop factor, with the resolution reducing, though on cameras like a D800 or even D600, it'll still very good.

Images

thank you
    Last edited by Tillerykid; 15-04-13 at 10:00 PM.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Hall View Post
    Hi Gary,

Because your DX-format DSLR has a smaller surface area than a full-frame chip, a 28mm lens (whether its DX of FX) will give a 35mm focal length equivalent of 42mm because of the sensor's 1.5x crop factor, so you're spot on.

You've probably got a 18-55mm DX lens that camera with your DSLR, which gives a 35mm focal length equivalent of 27-82.5mm.

Hope that helps,

Phil
    Hi Phil,

Following your explanation i decided to add a Nikon FX lens to my camera bag. After reading the review on this site i bought the Nikon 24 - 85mm FX lens from Amazon for 370. So far it looks a very good buy.
    Kind Regards
    Gary

Images

For anyone following this thread, the Nikon FX lens mentioned about worked fine with my Nikon D7000. Therefore, I've ordered another FX lens from Amazon, this time I've purchased the Nikon 18 - 35mm for a cost of 590.