Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Flashgun Help!

Default Flashgun Help!

From an absolute beginner...

I have had a Jessops 360AFD flashgun for a while and never got around to using it...Recently purchased a Canon 1100d and want to use the two together. Having no luck so far...could anyone give me instructions as to how to use the two together in very simple English (!) as really struggling and want to use it in two weeks time at a wedding!

Thanks in advance!

Images

hi and welcome could you give some details to what is wrong

Hi there...I'm not sure if there is actually something wrong with it or if I'm just not doing it right!

I've attached the flashgun to the camera and followed the instructions. The flashgun seems to be working in itself - all the information comes up on the LCD screen and the flash fires when I press the test button. However, it doesn't flash when I take a photograph. Is there anything I need to do on the camera to get it to sync with the flashgun or should it just do it automatically?

Thanks! Zara

Images

hi it should just work make sure it is in ettl mode check that it is not set for slave mode. the most basic question is have you got one thats a canon fit

Images

It sounds like your flash is not for a Canon

..now that there are a few Jessops stores re-opening...it might be worthwhile trying to return it for exchange...

Images

I also have a question on using flash with Canon 600d I have a vivitar 283 flash I used for a long time on 35mm film cameras and was unsure if it was safe to use on a digital camera as I have read there could be trigger voltage issues which might fry the electronics on the camera. can anyone confirm if that is in fact true or not. Can anyone recommend a decent compatible flash for the canon 600d ( one thats not a kings ransom to buy)

Images

Hi Bigfella

I would be really wary about using a flash gun for a film camera on a digital...Graham

Images

Depends on how old the Vivitar is. I use a fairly recent one more than happily, but the first ones can have trigger voltages way in excess of the maximum 250V. If it's made in China, it should be OK, though.

Images

thanks guys for the replies ...now the dilema.......IT IS a China model I have it from 1995 say 96 I am still wary to use it..I realise NRoberts says china ones should be OK but then Graham puts thst wee doubt in there .....AArrrrrghh Im still in a quandry.. Does anyone know how to confirm or test trigger voltages..................might be safer not using the flash at all decisions decisions.............probably need to weigh price of flash against a new camera YEAH???