Thread: Extras to Buy

Default Extras to Buy

Hi There,

I've just purchased a SLT-A37 and I wanted to ask, what extras must I buy? I'm very new to all this. I know there are many things I'd like to buy, but I'm talking about things like filers, things to clean it with etc. I'm not really sure? I just need advice of things I need to buy, before extras I'd like to buy.

Many thanks,

Bobby

It really depends on the type of photography you do. If you're interested in landscapes, nature, architecture etc the single most important accessory you can buy is a tripod. A tripod will improve your image sharpness and enable you to achieve the small apertures that provide front-to-back- depth of field. For architecture keeping things level is imperative. Tripods hold the camera still when you're up close and personal with flowers and insects, and your depth of field is so shallow that moving the camera an inch or two can make the difference between being in focus and not. There are hundreds available but avoid the cheap plasticky ones, they won't last long. You can get a pretty good tripod for about 50 (here's an example: http://www.wexphotographic.com/buy-v...ripod/p1521356) but don't spend much less.
    Other kids of photography demand different accessories. I'd say a folding reflector would be good for portraits, for example. (also useful for nature)
    Last edited by Nigel Atherton; 26-03-13 at 12:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nigel Atherton View Post
    It really depends on the tupe of photography you do. If you're interested in landscapes, nature, architecture etc the single most important accessory you can buy is a tripod. A tripod will improve your image sharpness and enable you to achieve the small apertures that provide front-to-back- depth of field. For archietcture keeping things level in imperative. Tripods hold the camera still when you're up close and personal with flowers and insects, and your depth of field is so shallow that moving the camera an inch or two can make the difference between being in focus and not. There are hundreds available but avoid the cheap plasticky ones, they wont last long. You can get a pretty good tripod for about 50 (here's an example: http://www.wexphotographic.com/buy-v...ripod/p1521356) but don;t spend much less.
    Other kids of photography demand different accessories. I'd say a folding reflector would be god for portraits, for example. (also useful for nature)
    But with regards to filters etc? I remember being told that UV filters are quite important to buy etc? Is that not the case?

My usual photography involves using a compact, for the majority of my underwater pictures. Obviousbly, buying an underwater housing for my DSLR is not quite an option for me just yet, but I wanted to make sure I had the right equipment so as not to damage the camera.

Many thanks,

Bobby

Images

filters are a personnel choice and depends what you are taking shots of a uv filter will help on a sunny hazy day and for the main part people dont take them off, they use them as a lens protector. if you are going to keep a uv filter on all the time make sure it is a good one. it is pointless having a good lens with a poor filter in front of it, most lenses today dont really need a uv filter to be honest and if you want to use another type then you would have to take the uv filter off

Filters have a use in protecting the front element of the lens but they're by no means essential. I find that if you keep the lens hood on, as I do, this reduces the chance of accidentally touching the front element anyway.