Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default camera choice help please

hi
    i need some advice please
    in 6 months time iam going on a dream holiday to south africa and need to buy a good camera to record this once in a lifetime event.now i know very very little about cameras the only camera i have is a 5millon pixel point and shoot samsung which is not going to be up to the job,as we going into the bush and iam sure the wild animals are not going to be walking up to me!
    so i need something that is easy to operate [can you get a automatic good camera?]
    something that i can fit a longer lense to
    i also go to watch classic car raceing so if it can take pictures of fast stuff then that will be a bonus
    so any advice in what to look for,what models etc,how many pixells i need etc will be welcome.
    not sure on budget but say up to about 500 for the camera then i worry abot the lense price later
    please rember that i am a novice and have no experince
    thanks very much

Images

hi and welcome as you were kind enough to put your history down may suggest that you may not need a camera with inter changeable lenses but a good bridge camera with an all in one lens. try looking at panasonic fz200, canon sx50 sony hx200v.

Images

Hi Welcome to the forum
    I agree with wave I think a good bridge is what you need, I don't think changing lenses in the bush would really be a good idea, wave selection of cameras is also good, you could also look at the Fuji hs50 and the nikon p510, this camera has been updated, but is still a good camera
    There is nothing worse than a sharp image of a fuzzy concept.. Ansel Adams

thanks wave and graham going to read some reviews and see what they say.
    so a bridge camera is a fixed lense [see iam learning]read a review of the canon as i thought with the big lens it would be the best but there seams to be a few issues in its use with the lens on max.

Hi everyone. I'm also new to all this & in a similar situation to 'dollshouse'. Holiday of a lifetime in a month, left it late I know! I'm going to Orlando Disney with the whole family & need a camera. Looked at the recommendations of 'wave' & they look a bit big for what I want to carry round. Could you recommend anything good on the compact camera side of things or anything else? I'm going to be walking a lot & going on rides etc.

Sorry to hijack this thread

Images

Hi yoyo, welcome to the forum
    It would help us if we new your budget
    There is nothing worse than a sharp image of a fuzzy concept.. Ansel Adams

Images

Hi yoyo i go to disney a lot and i carry a DSLR with me and to be honest it not that bad. the trouble with compacts is you may well miss the shots you are after. the cameras that graham and i have selected are really good all rounders

Default Panasonic FZ 200

The most important part of a bridge is the light gathering power of the lens. The Panasonic FZ 200 stays at F2.8 throughout the zoom range meaning you can shoot in lower light and higher shutter speeds. Its 24 x zoom can be increased to 60 x zoom if you lower the Mega Pixels which will still give you A4 prints if you want.

The Panasonic FZ200 is a no brainer in my book - just geddit!

well ive been looking around and iam going to stick to my guns and buy a camera that i can swop lenses on.the reason for this is because it will be more flexable and i really like the idea of a monster lense [dont like the price of them but we will see]
    the camera that iam leaning towards is the cannon 600 which is top of my budget
    now i have a couple of questions that i need a bit of help with
    1=how many pixels do i really need? is it true you only need more than 8 million if you doing big pictures
    2=what sort of sd card will i need?
    3=got to budget for a bag as well[anything else i will need?}
    cheers

Images

hi the 600d is a great camera but also look at the 650d it has come down in price and has the latest digic 5 processor.
    how many pixels well 18 mp is more than enough and is also good for cropping later
    sd card get a class10 sdhc or sdxc. on a personnel note i tend to stick with 16gig cards as going higher if something goes wrong then i dont loose everything
    bag i use a backpack type easier to carry and a black rapid strap this very much easier to carry.
    lenses i have 17-70os sigma and a 70-200L is f4 plus a 50 1.8 these go everywhere with me. the one thing i have learnt is you tend to get what you pay for there are a couple of exceptions 50 1.8 is one and if you are on a budget the 55-250is is another. if you are going on a safari then you will need a long lens and they are expensive so go try it out as they are heavy too.
    you will need a tripod or at the very least a monopod

all that said you will need to learn how to use a DSLR to get the best out of it as they perform better in the creative modes, also shoot RAW as this gives you a chance in post processing of some recovery. if you go the route of interchangeable lenses make sure that you get an optical view finder they focus quicker.

i am not trying to turn you off a DSLR but please go and try one out and consider lessons or joining a camera club but most of all enjoy your trip