Default Nikon D3200 OR D5100??

Hi,

Sorry in advance I know this is a very current burning question amogst potential Nikon buyers, although I have owned a D70 previously but this will be my first dslr in a while. I wouldn't call myself a beginner but also far from a pro!

Aside from the big megapixel rating that the d3200 is trying to catch newbies with, have I got slighly more functionality and settings on the 5100?? I have also read a couple of times now that the 5100 takes slightly better images.. but obviously this various dependant on opinion. Another thing I was unsure on was that the processor in the 3200 is a EXPEED 3 while on the 5100 EXPEED 2 .. does this really make any worthwhile difference??

Thanks and sorry for all the questions

Steve

Images

Hi and welcome may be you should look at the 5200 and then think which one. IMHO and not a nikon shooter i would have gone for the newer 5200

Images

Hi Welcome to the forum

Before I answer this can I ask what lenses you use on your D70... Graham
    There is nothing worse than a sharp image of a fuzzy concept.. Ansel Adams

Quote Originally Posted by wave View Post
    Hi and welcome may be you should look at the 5200 and then think which one. IMHO and not a nikon shooter i would have gone for the newer 5200
    Thank You Wave Unfortuanately this isn't an option, it is the 3200 OR 5100

Quote Originally Posted by graham_c
    Hi Welcome to the forum

Before I answer this can I ask what lenses you use on your D70... Graham
    Thanks Graham it was whatever was packaged with the camera originally, which I believe was a AF-S DX Zoom-Nikkor 18-70mm Lens.

Just to clarify I am not a first time/beginner user, I have experience using both a 35mm film SLR and a DSLR.

Thanks again,
    Steve

Images

hi i have looked at the specs of both and to be honest i would go for the 5100 it has swivel screen and possibly a better body

I have just ordered the D5100 I have spent days researching different opinions and looking at spec differences and I think the 5100 will be a better choice for me. It is slightly higher up the range than the 3000 series and a couple of extra features which grabbed me. Thanks for your help

Images

Good choice

You will get swivel screen,mirror delay, and better build quality is also has the same sensor as the D7000.
    There is nothing worse than a sharp image of a fuzzy concept.. Ansel Adams