Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Nikon d3200 with nikkor 35mm 1.8 or canon 600d?

Good evening folks;

I am going to buy one of the above cameras in the next couple of days; I am planing to use it for general photography but also to make some videos.

I am much inclined for the canon 600d; however I have a problem; it doesn't seem that I could fine a satisfactory alternative for the lens nikkor 35mm 1.8. I would like to have the range of approx 50mm for portraits and video (if we bare in mind the crop factor of these two cameras, then something between 28 and 35mm would be ideal).

The reason why I want a prime is for both price and image quality.

Anyone could give me a hand with this? the canon 50mm 1.8 II would be perfect if I was considering a full frame, but in the crop one is just not wide enough....Sigma 30mm 1.4 and canon EF 35mm 2.0: They are more pricey than the nikkor 35mm and, for what I've read around, it seems that they are not as good.

Any other alternatives? would you go for one camera as oppose to the other for one lens?

Thank you for your assistance guys.

Images

Hi and welcome i think we will see 2 camps here nikon and canon users and each will sell there product well. although i am a canon user my advice is simple go and try both out see how they feel. if feels right then its along way to being right make sure the buttons are in the right place for you and you understand the menu setup. dont settle for i will get used to it, when you buy a DSLR you buy into a system so make sure that system fits your needs. i would add that if video is your main concern then look at the 650d with a STM lens. also dont disregard zoom lenses todays are very good and produce really good images. good luck

Quote Originally Posted by wave View Post
    Hi and welcome i think we will see 2 camps here nikon and canon users and each will sell there product well. although i am a canon user my advice is simple go and try both out see how they feel. if feels right then its along way to being right make sure the buttons are in the right place for you and you understand the menu setup. dont settle for i will get used to it, when you buy a DSLR you buy into a system so make sure that system fits your needs. i would add that if video is your main concern then look at the 650d with a STM lens. also dont disregard zoom lenses todays are very good and produce really good images. good luck
    Hi wave; thanks for your quick reply!

The thing is that I've already walked into a shop and hold both, and the canon just feels better for me (size, bottoms etc.) That and the video capabilities are the main reason why I am inclined to go for the canon.
    I certainly wouldn't rule a zoom lens out; but I much like bokeh effect and with, the exception of the L series, I don't know any lens that has the sharpness and DOF of primes. However if you have any suggestions and are $300 or under I'm all ears.

Thanks for your time and advice.

Images

Hi Fab

Either of these cameras will give great results. It might be worth noting the the nikon will do video... Graham

Images

I am not sure about Nikon lenses but canon do a 35 f2. And a 40 f2 STM which goes with 650d. One thing I would say is that with modern zoom lens they are very sharp. It maybe worth a revisit and take a memory card with you and test agin. Good luck

Quote Originally Posted by graham_c View Post
    Hi Fab

Either of these cameras will give great results. It might be worth noting the the nikon will do video... Graham
    Hi Grahan;

Thanks for the reply!

I know the nikon do video too. However I don't think they can compite with the canon on this area (amongst other problems, they don't allow you to modify/trim ISO or other values during the shot) I believe that they are getting there though! The D5200 is looking very nice! What a pity I can't afford it!

You are right wave, I might need to go into a shop with a memory card and try again with some of the zoom lenses...

Look at Samyang 35 mm 1.4. Without AF but a lt of reviews show it must be great

Images

I'm looking at the samyang 85mm lens and the reviews on this are all good

Hi I am also in the same predicament. I wanted to take my first step buying a digital slr and my heart was set on the D3200 because of the 24megapixels. My brother who owns a older Canon has told be to consider the Canan EOS 600. After reading the reviews I am not sure anymore. I would be mainly using it to take pictures. For a newbie which one would be better?

Images

Hi i would go and try them see which suits you but i would look at the canon 650d now not the 600d