Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Nikon camera upgrade........

After many years absence from SLR photography, just over 2 years ago, I bought myself a Nikon D100 so I could re-aquaint myself with the hobby I once loved so much.
    Having used this camera now with a few different lenses I feel I am ready for an upgrade, to something a little more modern.
    The model I am considering is the D3200....
    Would this be a good upgrade from my current D100....?????
    Any advice would be much appreciated, and I am working on a budget of 500, so would another used model be better or worse.
    I do landscape work, family portraits, etc., but I am looking to expand my photographic horizons.

Thanks in advance,
    Best Regards
    Micky.

Images

Hi Micky

It would be helpful to us if you could tell us what lenses your currenty have... Graham

Quote Originally Posted by graham_c View Post
    Hi Micky

It would be helpful to us if you could tell us what lenses your currenty have... Graham
    I currently have: Nikon 28-50mm AF
    Nikkor 28-100mm AF
    Tokina 28-200 Manual

These details are a bit vague at the moment as I have the camera equipment at my daughters place at the moment, due to just moving house.
    I hope this info is of some help.
    Many thanks
    Micky.

PS: Is it you Graham that lives in Ayrshire?
    My wife is from Girvan.

Images

Hi Micky

Yes it is the Graham from Ayrshire, I know girvan well when the boys were younger I took them down the Maidens for a game of football then into Girvan for bite to eat.

The D100 altough an old camera it still takes great photos. Also a good thing about it is, there great for infra red photos, a lot of photographers buy these cameras for this purpose.
    If you are thinking on upgrading to a D3200 your Nikon lenses ( being A.F.) won't auto focus, every thing will work it just won't auto focus
    To get a camera that will auto focus your lenses it will need to be either a D90 or a D7000. I have both these cameras , while the 90 is a great camera it is been around for a while now The D7000 has just been upgraded to the 7100 and can be picked up quite cheaply, I got mine for just over 600 new. Out of the two cameras alough the 90 is still a great camera I have to say the D7000 is a far superior camera both in buid ans image quality. Regards ... Graham

Hi Graham, many thanks for the information, the advice is very good and I think I will start looking for a D7100.
    Best Regards to you and your family,
    Micky.

Images

Please let us know how you get on, forgot to mention on previous post I come from Kilmarnock. Regards... Graham

Default Thank you.....

Quote Originally Posted by graham_c View Post
    Please let us know how you get on, forgot to mention on previous post I come from Kilmarnock. Regards... Graham
    Hi Graham, I bought a nice little car one day in Kilmarnock !!!!
    I have to say a big thank you for your advice on the D7000, I have now spent many hours reading reviews and also checking out the camera itself.
    I took time out today, to go and check out the D7000 at ome of my local camera outlets in Swansea. To my surprise they actually had 2 in stock, so I had a chance to hold and test this particular model.
    I must say, the build quality was very impressive and I would easily put this model in the semi-pro range of SLR's.
    Every aspect of the camera impressed me, including some of the features that would excel the 300s, video capabilities are exceptional, as is the dual card capability, where you can put J-PEG/Raw on one card and video on a separate card.
    The versatility of lens compatability is also another big plus.
    In camera fuctions are endless as are the capabilities of just about anything you want to do with this piece of equipment, but I would have to look at an external microphone for video shooting, which can be had for around 25.
    I will be looking into owner review's for this model over the next 8 weeks, then I will be looking to commit to buy.
    Once again, many thanks for steering me in the right direction, and I look forward to buying the D7000.
    All the best Graham to you and your family,
    Best Regards
    Micky.

Images

Hi Micky.
    One thing's for sure if you bought a good car in Kilmarnock it wasn't one of my old bangers.

I have the D7000 camera so any question you have just ask. It's always a good idea to read as many reviews as you can before you commit yourself. All the best to you and your family ... Graham

Images

Just had an email from Nikon uk. They are giving 100 off the price on a D7000, bringing it down to around 550... Graham

Default Regards......

WOW !!!!! Thanks for that Graham, I must say, you are like the Messiah of camera deals !!!
    I really appreciate the heads up !!! You are a GOD !
    Please forgive me, but, can I ask you: I have just come upon a deal for a Nikon Speedlight SB 600, is 107 slightly used, a good deal ???
    I know this flashgun would compliment the D7000, what are your thought's ......??????
    Many thanks
    Best Regards
    Micky.