Question Beginner buying advice

Hello everyone,

I am new to this forum and the world of photography and looking to buy my first DSLR.

I have brought a few magazines and have been reading reviews about different cameras but unsure what will suit me. I would prefer buying a camera which I can "grow into" and learn the basics of photography.

Do i go for a Nikon or Canon? and which one?

Photography would include portrait, landscade/ nature and some animals.

I would like a decent spec - I am a computer techy, hence have some understanding of file systems, formats. I have used adobe photoshop in the past; just a matter of getting back in I suppose.

Budget: <1500; I am prepared to spare some cash for a good DSLR which I can grow into

Thanks in advance,
    Zee

Images

Hi and welcome, the first thing i would say is when you buy a DSLR you buy into a system so make sure that system suits your needs. Get a short list and go and try them, if it feels right then you are well down the road to it being right.
    My immediate thoughts are that you are covering a wide range of photography, ie in general landscape you would need a wide angle and animals then you need a telephoto. What i would do is get a camera with a kit lens as most are good quality and will get you some good results. Then see what your needs are and buy accordingly. good luck

Quote Originally Posted by wave View Post
    Hi and welcome, the first thing i would say is when you buy a DSLR you buy into a system so make sure that system suits your needs. Get a short list and go and try them, if it feels right then you are well down the road to it being right.
    My immediate thoughts are that you are covering a wide range of photography, ie in general landscape you would need a wide angle and animals then you need a telephoto. What i would do is get a camera with a kit lens as most are good quality and will get you some good results. Then see what your needs are and buy accordingly. good luck

Thanks for your reply, much appreciated,

I am abit unsure of which Nikon and Canon models I can test, can anyone recommend any for my needs?

If you recommend either a Canon or Nikon; can you also possibly suggest a comparative model from the other supplier too?

I would like to be sure I am buying the right model beforehand.

Thanks,
    Zee

Images

Both nikon and canon have entry levels, but i would move up at least one level so as a canon shooter i would start at the 650d next level up is 60d and then 7d, if you go up to full frame then you will be outside your budget, remember lenses are expensive.
    All the models i have mentioned are all due to be replaced this year so a barging can be had