Default Some buying help please

I am looking to buy a digital camera suitable for Bird watching and general wildlfe.I would like a 'viewfinder'type in preference to LCD screen (or both) and preferably some form of image stabilisation at higher mags.Optical zoom prefered (as opposed to digital) or both.
    Max megapixels and storage capacity..(SD?)I have a limited budget of 200.00.Any help/advice would be much appreciated.
    Paul

Images

Hi and welcome can you let us know what type of quality pictures you are expecting

Quote Originally Posted by wave View Post
    Hi and welcome can you let us know what type of quality pictures you are expecting
    I think I may be looking for a 'Bridge' type camera in my price range (up tp 200) and therefore the sort of quality produced by a min 16megapixel spec.Sorry I am a bit vague....I am new to photography although I am fairly OK with Scope & Binocular specs.
    Thanks,
    Paul

Images

It a bit out side your budget i would look at a canon sx40hs it does get some good write ups

Quote Originally Posted by wave View Post
    It a bit out side your budget i would look at a canon sx40hs it does get some good write ups
    Thats very helpful....I'll have a look.I am also considering a Lumix DMC FZ 28 which also seems to have good write up's.
    Many thanks again,
    Paul

You definitely need a bridge camera. There are quite a few available, but not many good ones under 200. If you can stretch that a bit the Fujifilm HS30 is pretty reasonable, but I'm seeing that for around 230. We're planning a group test of budget bridge cameras in the next issue so if you can hold off for a couple of weeks we might be able to give you our verdict on the handful of bridge cameras around the 150-200 mark.

Update: Actually it's currently 210 on Amazon: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Fujifilm-Fin...1885651&sr=1-1

OK....will wait for your next issue.Thanks for all your help.
    Paul

Actually Paul, my information is out of date - we've already done the group test. I can tell you that the Pentax X-5 did very well and would suit your needs, though it's only 26x zoom. The full group test will be out in the next issue, on 15th March.
    Last edited by Nigel Atherton; 26-02-13 at 02:22 PM.