Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Need Advice on what camera to buy

I want to buy a new camera, my previous was just a Kodak Easy share point and shoot.
    I am looking for something with a view finder, better zoom and more mega pixels. I also like the battery packs as I think regular batteries don't last as long.

I looked at the Canon Powershot SX 50, but it doesn't have a view finder.

I want to take pictures of birds, scenery and people, places, etc. I am going to Scotland this year with my 2 sisters and would like to have some great pictures to bring home.

I have a budget of $200-400. But would like to stay as low as possible.

I'm just a beginner so nothing too complicated. Although I'm thinking of taking some photography classes soon.

Anyone have any advise for me!

Thanks

Hi Welcome to the forum

If your coming to Scotland this year to take photos of birds and scenery you will need a camera with a good zoom (for the birds) and the ability to go wide. You could look at something like the Nikon P510 it's a 18mega pixel camera 42 times zoom and is quite wide also has a battery pack rather than AA batteries. It also has built in GPS. Hope this helps ... Graham

Quote Originally Posted by WANTVWBUG View Post
    I want to buy a new camera, my previous was just a Kodak Easy share point and shoot.
    I am looking for something with a view finder, better zoom and more mega pixels. I also like the battery packs as I think regular batteries don't last as long.

I looked at the Canon Powershot SX 50, but it doesn't have a view finder.

I want to take pictures of birds, scenery and people, places, etc. I am going to Scotland this year with my 2 sisters and would like to have some great pictures to bring home.

I have a budget of $200-400. But would like to stay as low as possible.

I'm just a beginner so nothing too complicated. Although I'm thinking of taking some photography classes soon.

Anyone have any advise for me!

Thanks

I would look for a good second hand canon G9 or similar, it has full point and shoot capabilities but can do a lot more in the TV, AV and Manual modes, lithium battery lasts well and picture quality is awesome, can do nearly as much as a DSLR

Default Thanks Graham!

I'll look in to the Nikon P510. Are you from Scotland and what area? I can't wait to get there on our trip. We went to Ireland 2 years ago and now want to see Scotland. We have family ties to both countries from years ago. Thanks for the advice.

Default Thanks Mark

I'll look in to the Canon G9 also! Thanks!

Yes I am Scottish
    I'm from the Stirling area, but live in Ayrshire now

Quote Originally Posted by graham_c View Post
    Yes I am Scottish
    I'm from the Stirling area, but live in Ayrshire now

Thanks for the reply. Off the camera subject. Can you give me tips on places that are must see in Scotland? We will be there for 16 days. We're flying in to Edinburgh and driving up around the Highlands, Skye and down from there towards Glascoe. Would it be hard in May or October to find B & B's on the fly?

Images

Try Trip Advisor Loads on Scotland, I have been holidaying there for over 40 years and still not seen it all,dont rush and you will enjoy. One of the most beautiful countries in the world, and a photographers paradise.....Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by hartley353 View Post
    Try Trip Advisor Loads on Scotland, I have been holidaying there for over 40 years and still not seen it all,dont rush and you will enjoy. One of the most beautiful countries in the world, and a photographers paradise.....Mike.
    Thanks Mike,

I'm sure I'll love it! I went to Ireland 2 years ago and it was also beautiful. I thought that I could move there in a minute and be very happy.

And from what I've seen of Scotland, I'm sure I'll feel the same way. Also sure it is a photographer paradise, that's why I want to get great pictures.

Graham suggested the Nikon P510 for a starting camera and that's what I think I will be buying.

Skye is always recommended, Glen Coe also very atmospheric and well worth a visit. The Trossachs is a place of outstanding beauty as is Rannoch moor. They say if you want to see the whole Scotland in one day then go to the Isle of Arran. No matter where you go you will have a great time and will get lots of photos... Graham