Default Canon SX50 HS vs Nikon P510

Hi,

Firstly apologies if these cameras have been discussed before, I did a quick search and couldn't find anything.

I'm looking to buy my first digital camera to take traveling and I'm torn between the Canon Powershot SX50 HS and the Nikon P510.

The huge zoom on both of them aside, the main attraction of the Nikon is the Panorama mode which is a feature I'm really fond of as I'll be visiting some nice scenic locations. But from reading lots of reviews the Canon seems to have more going for it, apart from the all important Panorama mode..HOWEVER...I've noticed the Canon does have something called PhotoStitch.

So I have two questions really:

1. Has anyone got any experience of PhotoStitch and will it do a good enough job of making Panoramics? It's appears to be a post-production feature which is putting me off.

2. Should I only be considering one of these cameras regardless of the panoramic ability? Is the Canon streets ahead?

Any advice much appreciated.

Hi
    Your on the wrong track if you want Panorama shots. Check out Sweep Panorama
    http://www.sony.co.uk/hub/cyber-shot...sweep-panorama

then check out the Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX200V http://www.photographyblog.com/revie...hx200v_review/

Cheers!
    Last edited by Chris Cool; 05-02-13 at 10:04 PM.

Images

hi and welcome Chris is right if you want good panoramic shots you dont need a long zoom you need the wide end. if on the other hand you want an all rounder then theres not a lot to choose. both have good and bad points.
    photo stich is where you take a series of shots and merge them this can be done in photoshop.
    what is your budget

Thanks for your prompt reply Chris, I'll check the Sony out. A bridge camera with a viewfinder is also high up on my want list so looks like a good option which I never considered.

I noticed the Sony only has 30x zoom compared to the Nikon's 42x and Canon's 50x - as a novice is this difference something that I need to worry about? I mean, can it be tough to hold the camera steady on a subject at 50x and is 30x perfectly ample?
    Last edited by parpar; 06-02-13 at 12:50 PM.

Hi Wave, thanks for your input.

I'm looking to spend up to 275ish so the Sony (and Nikon and Canon) fall in my price range. And an allrounder is exactly what's i'm after, with panoramic capabilities, decent zoom and a good viewfinder.

Is the Sony a sound choice in your opinion over the Canon? 18 MP seems impressive!

Images

hi its down now to go to a shop and try them out see what feels best for you looking at all the cameras i see good points in them all. another thing to look for is do they give good value software. i know with canon it comes with DPP which isnt a bad program for basic RAW conversion and editing. good luck

Quote Originally Posted by parpar View Post
    Thanks for your prompt reply Chris, I'll check the Sony out. A bridge camera with a viewfinder is also high up on my want list so looks like a good option which I never considered.

I noticed the Sony only has 30x zoom compared to the Nikon's 42x and Canon's 50x - as a novice is this difference something that I need to worry about? I mean, can it be tough to hold the camera steady on a subject at 50x and is 30x perfectly ample?
    30x is plenty cos you want Panorama images so you won't be using it much. I mean, how many close ups of clock faces do you want lol. Unless you're a dedicated bird lover, 30x will be fine. It goes up to 60x with Clear Image zoom if you really need it.

Sony offer the best Panorama and video action. It also has 18.2 MP. and all in all, it's the best all rounder which is what you asked for

Remember, for best quality with all these Bridge cameras. Keep the ISO between 100 and 400. 800 for web images and small prints. Find out more http://www.digital-photo-secrets.com...iso-explained/

Now go feel one!
    Last edited by Chris Cool; 06-02-13 at 07:16 PM.