Hybrid View

Post Which Olympus EPL3 or new EPM2? Help?

Hey, I would love to buy a new camera for my fiance and am torn between a good deal for a double lens kit for the Olympus PEN EPL3 (just over £400 for M.ZUIKO Digital 14 -42mm II R and M.ZUIKO Digital 40 -150mm Lenses) or the new Olympus PEN EPM2 (about £460 with the 14-42,mm lens). I would only be able to go for the EPM2 with the lens it's supplied with though.

The EPL3 is an atractive option as it has two lenses and seems a good deal. On the otherhad it has been replaced now with the EPL5. Unfortunately I can't afford that one so the EPM2 would be the best I could get of the new range.

The EMP2 has 16.1 megapixels and has had very good reviews. The EPL3 has had good reviews but only has 12.3 megapixels.

I don't know how important/useful having two lenses is?

Any help/advice would be very welcome!

Thanks

Images

hi i would let her choose as the handling and feel is a personnel thing

As present there is only about £40 to separate the two options you mention, with the Olympus E-PM2 & 14-42mm kit being the slightly more expensive. Both cameras have their strengths, however, the E-PM2 comes out on top with a more advanced set of features. If you think your fiancé would prefer a camera that’s lighter and can be operated very easily using a touch screen rather a selection of buttons, the E-PM2 is the way to go. It doesn’t have a tilt-screen like the E-PL3, but it does shoot faster at 8fps opposed to 5.5fps and has a wider ISO range, which spans from 200-25600. Buying into a system such as Micro Four Thirds will also allow your fiancé to expand her range of lenses once she knows exactly what type of photography she’d like to pursue. If she’d prefer to concentrate on portraiture for example, an excellent prime lens such as the M.ZUIKO 45mm f/1.8 would make for a better alternative than the telephoto zoom you’ve been looking at with the E-PL3. Buying the E-PM2 with a single lens will give your fiancé creative freedom to explore the type of photography she wants to when she’s ready to advance.

Kind Regards,

Michael Topham
    Digital & News Editor What Digital Camera
    michael_topham@ipcmedia.com
    020 3148 4797

www.whatdigitalcamera.com

Blue Fin Building
    110 Southwark Street
    London
    SE1 0SU

As present there is only about £40 to separate the two options you mention, with the Olympus E-PM2 & 14-42mm kit being the slightly more expensive. Both cameras have their strengths, however, the E-PM2 comes out on top with a more advanced set of features. If you think your fiancé would prefer a camera that’s lighter and can be operated very easily using a touch screen rather a selection of buttons, the E-PM2 is the way to go. It doesn’t have a tilt-screen like the E-PL3, but it does shoot faster at 8fps opposed to 5.5fps and has a wider ISO range, which spans from 200-25600. Buying into a system such as Micro Four Thirds will also allow your fiancé to expand her range of lenses once she knows exactly what type of photography she’d like to pursue. If she’d prefer to concentrate on portraiture for example, an excellent prime lens such as the M.ZUIKO 45mm f/1.8 would make for a better alternative than the telephoto zoom you’ve been looking at with the E-PL3. Buying the E-PM2 with a single lens will give your fiancé creative freedom to explore the type of photography she wants to when she’s ready to advance.

I hope this information is useful.

Kind Regards,

Michael Topham
    Digital & News Editor What Digital Camera
    michael_topham@ipcmedia.com
    020 3148 4797

www.whatdigitalcamera.com

Blue Fin Building
    110 Southwark Street
    London
    SE1 0SU