Default macro and bellows and flare

I used a BPM bellows unit occasionaly with film SLRs, but have just tried with my Olympus D M5, with a Canon FD 50 mm lens on the bellows unit. I use a conservatory as a 'studio'. There is an unacceptable amount of flare visible in the viewfinder, and in the digital files, but I am at a loss as to why it is happening, or how to avoid it. Any ideas would be very welcome.

Images

Hi Swinsider welcome to the forum
    Like you I have a BPM bellows set, which was used on and off for macro shots, and I did get more than my fair share of flare, using a Nikon D90 and either a 50 or 35mm lens. I was told to get a compendium lens shade and it would solve the problem. The problem was caused by (apparently) too much light bouncing around in the bellows. However when I looked at the prices of them, some are around 300 I retired the bellows unit and bought a set of Kenko extension tubes. The added bonus to using extension tube is you can use them outside. hope this helps... graham

Thanks, graham, for your welcome and the answer, which is helpful. It re-assures me that I am not the only sufferer, and encorages me to keep looking for some control/solution. I had noticed that the problem seemed worse in brighter light [not much sunshine in Cumbria recently] and I had tried an ancient rubber lens-hood, without a full correction. I will keep trying.