Hybrid View

Default I am new to all this - Any advice about which camera to get as a beginner?

Hi all. I have wanted to get a decent camera for a while and it is a big birthday soon so i thought I would ask people to donate to my camera fund. I want to be able to take quality photos and not have to lug a massive camera around. I want to advance from a simple compact camera though. I would take pictures of outdoorsy type things and even photos of family etc.

I am torn between getting a simple bridge camera (it seems simple - has one lens etc) or a DSLR (could get a decent lens and take higher quality photos.

I am perhaps looking to pay up to or around 400 so not spending mega bucks.

Please could you help me!

Tom

Images

You've answered your own question. If you don't want a carry around a bulky camera (DSLR ) look at a bridge camera

A bridge camera is just a compact with a massive lens. If a huge telephoto (eg, 30x) is what you need then go for it, but they aren't much smaller than DSLRs. The main uses of such long lenses are sports, wildlife and, possibly, travel. Most people don't need a lens much beyond the equivalent of 200mm telephoto. If that applies to you then you're better off with a camera with a larger sensor, since this is what will determine the image quality more than anything else. Some DSLRs, such as the Nikon D3100 (which is within your budget) are quite small, but if they're still too big one type of camera you haven't considered is the Compact System Camera. These have larger sensors that compacts, and also interchangeable lenses, but no optical viewfinder like a DSLR. You either use the LCD to compose pictures or some have an electronic viewfinder. They vary in size - some have DSLR sensors so, although still smaller than DSLRs are still not pocket sized, while others have smaller sensors so the cameras and lenses are that much smaller too.

You might find these videos useful in explaining the types of camera available: http://www.whatdigitalcamera.com/equ...st-camera.html

There are two especially good deals within your price bracket at the moment.

• Samsung NX1000 - 379 at the moment with a free Samsung Galaxy Tab 7" , from Currys and some other retailers. Camera has built-in wi-fi and a 20MP DSLR sized sensor.
    • Nikon 1 V1 - For under 300 in many places this TV advertised CSC is a great deal. It was originally over 800. It has a viewfinder and can shoot at 60fps. Smaller sensor than the Samsung so image quality not as good, but its smaller.

For other options browse through these: http://www.wexphotographic.com/compa...-cameras/b3189

I am thinking either:

Nikon Coolpix P510 - bridge camera

or

Nikon D3100 - DSLR

I really cant make my mind up!!! If I get a DSLR which lens is best for everyday use?

Images

what do you want to take shots of it will help