Default 2nd lens buying advice

I've done some reseach into the next lens I'm going to buy. I've got a canon 1000D and the kit lens 18-55mm. I think the next lens I want is the canon 50mm 1.8. I've considered the 1.4 and yes it's probably a better lens but as I'm just starting out (don't how serious I'll get) I'm not sure I can justify the extra cost of the 1.4.

I've read most photographers have a 50mm lens but as I have a camera with a crop factor of 1.6 should I be looking at a lens of around 28mm to get the same affect as the 50mm?

I'm also considering getting a telephoto lens of some sort and looked at canon's 70-300mm f4 IS USM and their 70-200mm f4 L USM. The type of photography that I want to get into is sport/dance but I'm trying everything at the moment as it's just the start. I'm more unsure about choosing this type of lens because I don't want to regret within a year that I didn't spend the extra money for a better lens but I also don't want to spend a fortune if I don't end up making the most of it. Any advice on this as well would be greatly appreciated.

Jo

Images

hi and welcome lets look at the 50 1.8, at its price point then to me its great lens to have in the bag. now for the bad news the telephoto you said sport and dancing if indoors then you will need a fast lens the 70-200 f4 L may be ok but you would have to up the iso a better choice is the is 70-200L f2.8 but it is pricey and may not be long enough