Thread: Trap focusing.

Images

Default Trap focusing.

Just read a magazine article whiich says that you can use this on some of Nikons digital Cameras but not on the D4 or D800.
    By a cunning combination of AF-on,back button, then focusing with focus priority AF mode the camera will wait for your target to come into focus then trip the shutter. This was a useful addition on film cameras when taking wild life pictures,just focus the camera where you expected the animal to arrive and let the camera do the rest. Any one know of this or have tried it...Mike.

Images

Hi Mike
    I use trap focusing on occasion (mainly for macro shots). I don't know but suspect any camera with AF-S focusing with and a AF-E/ AF-L button would do this. I also set my area mode to single .

The settings I use are
    set focus mode to AF-S
    set area mode to single
    change AE/L AF/L to AF on... Graham
    There is nothing worse than a sharp image of a fuzzy concept.. Ansel Adams

Images

Hi, Graham, After reading the article I did a quick search and after reading all that was out there I was even more confused, but what I did find is what you say you are using it for. The possibility to use it for Macro, set up the camera then move the camera forward till the subject comes into focus and the camera takes the picture. Also seems to be of little use for fast moving objects unless they are approaching the camera from the front. The Mrs is going out friday so I can rearrange sitting room and experiment. Thanks for reply
    Regards Mike.

Images

Hi Mike
    Like you I don't think it would be a good system to use with fast moving birds, it does help for some macro photos, another good tool I use is a focusing rail. Hope all goes well on Friday with your rearranging. Regards ... Graham

Images

Graham! Yes I had some success with the trials, I pullled the object into focus with fishing line,but I can see the benefit of using a focus rail, in the future i shall be having a go at focus stacking for macro images so would have to make the investment. Thanks for help...Mike.

Images

Hi Mike
    Glad you had some success on Friday, hope you didn't wreck the house. I'm going to change my focusing rail to one that move side ways as well as up and down so I can try some macro panoramas Regards ... Graham