Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jessops..

Images

Unhappy Jessops..

What a sad night this is, I have just heard that Jessops are going into administration, if this news is correct I for one will miss our local store very much, it was great just to walk into our store and talk about cameras and photography, try out different cameras or just pop in to get advice ...Jessops you will be greatly missed Caroline

..yes, not everyone's favourite but far better than Curry's etc. The only positive thought is will there be a fire sale of goodies? Perhaps our local independent dealer my benefit. Regards Paul P.S anyone mentioned the new web page yet? Where is the gallery link that showed just new images since last visit? has that gone?

Images

It is a shame I use Jessops a lot and will miss it. I'm in need of a new tripod and hope to get a bargain from them. Not too sure about the new site layout yet though... Graham
    There is nothing worse than a sharp image of a fuzzy concept.. Ansel Adams

..I have also used them for some larger format printing all done at a reasonable price when compared to other high street brands. I wonder if others might offer suggestions to alternative printer that they have tried and recommend.

Images

Unhappy Potential Demise of Jessops

Its hard to say this was not expected,but still comes as a shock. For many years I have had dealings with Jessops it was always a treat to enter one of their shops and browse the stock,and engage in conversation with some very helpful and dedicated staff, if they were not to busy. For all of us it is easy to buy on the net,but is so impersonnel.Shopping for special goods should be something to be enjoyed, dressing up going to town enjoying a coffee and coming home with a long awaited buy. when Jessops go that will be the end
    whats left is not worth having unless you are one of the fortunate few to have a camera shop in private ownership left in your town.
    I live in sad times.

Images

totally agree,now I need a large Baileys,my heart is heavy.

Images

We lost our local camera shop a few years ago, which is still a sad loss,now that Jessops in going the same way we have no where to check cameras out. Currys do sell camera but there stock is very limited and the sales people know more about washing machine than cameras.

Just before Christmas I ordered a Nikon D7000 on line from Jessop's and collected it in one of there Glasgow shops. I took my wife up and made a day of it . Sadly we won't be doing this for much longer... Graham
    There is nothing worse than a sharp image of a fuzzy concept.. Ansel Adams

Images

Hi Graham. During the christmas break I also browsed the jessops site, for many months I have salivated over the nikon 70-200 2.8 lens, filled with festive spirit the descision was made to purchase it,being a careful person I allowed myself a cooling off period before like you making the purchase on line to collect in store. Now begins another period of waiting,my partner Mary says we can use the money for a new sofa and carpet. It never rains but it pours. hope you enjoy your 7000 nearly bought one myself,but because it wouldnt take my GP1 I opted for the d300s a camera which is disappearing into obscurity after one year of ownership, difficult to keep up with Nikon this year, my destiny is to be a retro photographer the faster I run I am unable to catch up. Happy New Year. Mike.

Well it looks like I'm on my own here (but I bet I'm not) but my experience of Jessops has been nothing but dire...

Rude, incompetent, unknowledgeable staff. Shocking customer service... I could go on.... No wonder they've gone bust. I'll give you two first hand examples:

Walked into Jessops, cash in hand. I wanted a Nikon D90, two lenses, two memory cards, a tripod (expensive one), camera bag, etc... Total cost around 2000. I asked if there would be any discount... and got a big fat no! I said "Can you knock a pound off?" and the answer was a flat no. I left the store and walked round the corner to LCE who sold me everything I wanted and discounted the price by a whopping 300!!!

Next, when the Fuji X100 was released, I walked into Jessops, cash in hand, and said I'd like to buy that camera. They said they'd only just got it in and I wasn't allowed to touch it. I said I'd like to hold it before I buy it as I wanted to get a feel for it to see if suits my hand... "absolutely not" was the reply. They wouldn't even allow me to touch it even though I showed him the cold hard cash... Needless to say, I left the store...

Goodbye Jessops and good riddance.!

Images

Hi Stephen, In twenty years I experienced two examples as you quote, both happened within a month of each other when they closed a large store in manchester and opened a small shop. The first time I put it down to the trauma of redundancies, but when it happened a second time within a month I complained to head office and received an apology and a gift voucher, I never so the person in their employ again.
    In the main the service has been very good. I feel very sorry for for the men and women who have lost their jobs and my best wishes go out to them .

Mike.