Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Images

well it is now down to personnel choice i would look at the lenses available for the cameras you like as this could be the deciding factor for you

Thanks Wave,
    yes, I have been studying the lenses available too and once again theres nothing between Canon & Nikon, thats where they both score highly above Sony & Pentax really, the choice from their own ranges and from sigma tamron etc is more than adequate for my needs, nikon seem to be slightly cheaper there so the extra 100 or so I spend on the camera would be clawed back over the next few years I expect.
    I have also been looking at getting a better photoshop program for my macbook if anyone can recommend something easy to get to grips with, I currently only have i-photo on the mac as only had it about 5 months having switched over from years of windows PC's (I had windows 95 & 98!)
    I have photoshop among others on my old windows (Vista) laptop but cant be arsed to even switch it on it crashes so much!
    cheers

Images

i am a mac user and this is the way i go i shoot RAW and then my edit is with aperture3 if i need anything else like cloning cutting out the i use elements 9. if you go for element then get version 9 or above as that has layer masks in it.
    my advice on cameras is dont settle for i will get used to it, make sure its right. like you i had the choice of canon or nikon i went with canon your choice could well be different. good luck

Images

Hi
    I know how you feel with camera choices, My brother has a Pentax which he dearly loves but I think they are a wee bit light when it comes to lenses.None of these makers make bad cameras, it's a matter of deciding which one suits your needs

As for software I'm a windows user and use Photoshop CS5 (with a few plugins) Photoshop do a shortened version of this, Photoshop elements which is also a great program. Paint shop pro x4 ultimate is my other program which is somewhere between CS and elements, it has a few extra tools that photoshop doesn't have , like page curl and Nikon colour effex ... Graham

...an excellent discussion that really reminded me of the same quandary I found myself in last year. As has been stated all the cameras referred to are excellent and all represent camera's that you can 'grow with'. One thing tho' sales person can ruin a pitch, and if you do not get on with them don't bother to buy as good after sales help and advice is worth a bit... just my pennies worth..for the record I opted for the 600D over the 550 at the time because of the swivel screen and haven't stopped experimenting since!!

Thanks all for your input, as i am new to the forum its nice to be welcomed and have my topic treated with fairness and respect - i was a bit dubious i'd get a few 'not another bloody newbie' comments! thanks for your helpful comments.

I havent been able to help myself - even at 42 i am still an impetuous child when it comes to new toys - just ask my wife ! (I have motorbikes, boats, mountain bikes, gym stuff etc. etc. in phases which she is sure I do just to annoy her! thank god for Ebay or i'd be sleeping in the garden!)

I havent played with one yet but going on specs and you tube video reviews etc and playing with other nikon models I have today ordered and paid for the nikon D5200 - it will be with me by next tuesday
    The canon was a really close 2nd but i couldnt get away from the improved sensor, megapixel rate, focus points etc. it just seems higher spec all round and i think you should buy the best / highest model you can at the time to 'future proof' yourself, and new models do seem to come out every 3 to 6 months at the moment!

Can I just ask 1 question, which I may well be setting myself up for a roasting for...
    On my old SLR cameras there were ISO settings which directly related to the film used - lower speed higher quality & colour higher speed used for lower light & higher shutter speeds - easy, you just took a roll or 2 of each in your bag and used what was relative on the day. So why in a digital SLR without any film are ISO settings still relevant? surely the sensor / lens will have such a dynamic operating range which could just be set via aperture & shutter speed? maybe a scene mode setting / sport / portrait / low light might be a help but it looks like most ISO setting advice is to leave it on auto anyway ?
    - now feel free to bring me up to date ! my Pentax SLR has been in the loft for about 12 years so I have been at the mercy of compacts and bridge cameras since
    Cant wait for my d5200 now!
    cheers all

Images

hi you have answered your own question in a way lower ISO better quality if you up the ISO the sensor gets more sensitive so low ISO better quality. to be honest i dont really auto much except the white balance and as i shoot RAW and can sort it out in post processing. I choose my ISO for what i am shooting my canon has the button on the top and i just adjust it when i need to. good luck with the new camera

Images

Hi
    You have sort of answered your own question , I rarely use auto ISO. I start at 100 and work up, you should get up to 1600 with very little noise and there always your high ISO noise reduction which is very good on a Nikon. Good luck on Tuesday and let us know how you get on... Graham

Hi again,
    Well my slick new D5200 arrived today with the kit 18-55 DX VR lens and my additional 55-300 DX VR lens to complete my 'starting' kit.
    Got the lot from procamerashop online for a smidge over 750 -very competitive, free delivery via UPS took 2 working days, 5 stars to them for help and service.
    Very impressed with the whole thing so far, the auto focus is quick on both lenses with perhaps a little slowing towards the high end of the 300mm zoom when reasonably close to a subject.
    the multiple AF points work well on auto and are easy to manage manually.
    5 FPS shooting at high 24 mp jpeg seems unstoppable ! very good.
    the camera is light enough for the wife yet not so that it ends up feeling nose heavy with the longer zoom fitted.
    the grip isn't as good as the canon eos 650d but is still good.
    the menu system is very easy and above all I can quickly get the thing to do what I want (pretty much !) and thats after just a few hours. now being able to manipulate depth and speed etc makes me want to throw all my old compacts in the bin!
    One negative is the lenses have obviously been designed for AF only, you don't have a proper manual focus ring just a bit of a knurled top to the lens, you can manual focus but its not really designed for it.
    I like having the main buttons on the right being right handed, the screen quality is excellent.
    picture quality (I have only messed about in the garden as light was fading then in the kitchen) is very good.
    I have to say apart from the manual focus rings on the lenses it is excellent.

Now I need to get either a macro lens (will have to be cheap!) or some adapter rings ... if they are any good?
    I have ordered a couple of UV & polarising filters, bloody hell ! the budget has gone by some margin now !

Images

welcome to the world of photography good luck