Hello members,

I was wondering if anyone would be so kind and give me their thoughts on the following.

Earlier this year I went into a local camera shop looking for a camera that would be a step up from my Panasonic compact.

I was recommended the Fuji HS20 EXR bridge camera and told that it was the "top seller" and on the face of it, it seemed to be what I was looking for so I purchased one.

To cut a long story short I am almost lost for words at how poor this camera is. The automatic setting is not worth using so I have it in the EXR mode(s) but frankly this camera is incacpable of taking a decent photo with 9/10 photos blurred, over-exposed or full of noise.

You basically try the different settings whilst photographing and hope for the best but tend to scrap 23 out of every 25 photos you take. I mostly photograph ships in the harbour so at times need quite a bit of zoom but anything over 2/5 of the zoom while hand held is a disaster.

Picture quality beyond, say, 2/3rds zoom is pathetic(even using a tripod) and makes me wonder what the point of having such a large zoom is.

Even when I try to set it on a wall for stability the LCD screen blacks out and I can't see what I'm photographing!.

Apologies for the rather negative tone of my post but I simply can't see that I should be getting such poor results, even from a bridge camera.

Could anyone suggest a better bridge camera or an entry level DSLR?. I have been doing quite a bit of research and it would seem that Canon and Nikon cameras are quite highly rated.

Sincerest thanks for your time and thoughts.