Hi all, new to the forum but not to photography. I'm looking to step up from bridge camera to DSLR, and would appreciate answers to these questions (a) should I bother, and (b) which of these is best?

First, I like taking photos but I never post-process and I don't really have a full grasp of technical knowledge. I bought a Fuji 2100HD bridge camera when my trusty Canon powershot A95 broke, and it's been ok so far - taken some nice closeups, the odd blurry river shot, blurry background portrait and fast-frame fountain shots. But it feels as a bit limiting, and I dislike the way it zooms only in fixed stages. Plus, I don't really get good shots indoors.

So, (a) do I bother upgrading to a DSLR, or just learn to use my Fuji better?

And (b) if I do upgrade, what do I buy? Choice seems to be Nikon or Canon, basically going by what reviews I've read and what's on offer at Jessops etc. Although I did see that your DSLR of the month last month was the pentax K-30... My choice sems to be Nikon D3100 /3200 / 5100 / 90, or Canon 550d / 600d, all with 18-55 kit lenses except the 5100 and 90 that can come with 18-105 mm lenses.

I want to not bother with changing lenses if I have to, so one that does the closeup and zoom job would be nice. I would like to be able to zoom across a school hall to snap the kids performing, take family shots on holiday and indoors, do the odd arty closeup and portrait if possible, and snap the kids running around at top speed.

Any advice? Are kit lenses pretty crpa? I'm not averse to buying body only and getting lens separate if that's better option. Help gratefully received!! Otherwise I'm going to get so sick of reading reviews that I'll not bother at all.

Cheers