Thread: Driving Cameras

Default Driving Cameras

Hi all,

I dont know if I have come to the right place but I am thinking of buying a car camera to video bad drivers. I keep my mobile with me and can take pictures if I ever needed to - but I have been reading about car cameras and they seem to be just what I need.

Does anyone have any experience of them? I googled and found this forum related to buying advice but it may be that it is more related to photography. Anyway I am interested in that too and have a Cannon EOS 400 - so I may hang around for advice on that aswell!!!!

Debs.

Images

i do hope you are not driving at the same time. not sure about video cameras but you could upgrade your 400d to 650 that has video

Images

Hi Debbie Welcome to the forum
    Up till 15 mins ago I didn't know anything about these cameras.

From the little I've read on them . you want to be looking for one that has front and rear views, GPS , can function in all lighting. Hope this helps... Graham

Wave thankyou for your reply.

To be honest - yes - I am driving at the same time.

Apparently there is a whole world of car driving video cameras out there and they are legal because its sticks to the window. Like http://www.carcamwarehouse.com you can see you dont hold them.
    There are also some on sale on ebay and amazon and ive seen some taxi drivers using them - so this made me think they are legal to use when driving.

But there are so many - I was hoping someone had used one. Im not really certain that putting a large camera like a cannon in the car would work. TBH my cannon eos is a bit old - but I paid a fortune for it and its a bit of my pride and joy gadget wise.

I have the long lens for it for zooming in 90-300 and that is the bees knees - I am digressing. But no even if I upgraded the 400 I wouldnt think if wanting to put such an expensive camera in the car really.

One of these little ones looks good for the job - just which one.

Images

i just googled car cameras and there are a lot of them out there but i am not sure they will reduce insurance costs as some claim. i can see they might help in accidents, but as they are digital who knows if they will be allowed as evidence

Great topic, I'd get a 1080p one, perhaps with some led lighting for low-visibility environment. I'm probably also gonna look for those that record front and something like a fish-eye looking back, so that it would pick-up whatever is going on in the cabin + behind the car. Parking monitor is nice, but watch your battery. G-sensor is okay too, but it has to be disableable and customizable. The one I have right now is downright annoying. Even at the lowest sensitivity is marks way too many files as 'read only' due to some g-sensor event and quickly fills up the whole card with those, forcing me to format the card manually since otherwise it would stop recording.

Images

Last year a lady came out from a side road and struck the side of my car, in her statement she denied all liability. Luckily I was able to find CCTV images that showed the event on a Civil camera. Her insurers have chosen to ignore this evidence, and now it must go to County Court. Don't put to much faith in cameras.