Default !st new lens for Canon 600D

Hi All,

I bought a Canon 600D about 6 months ago, mostly for taking pictures of our new baby. I've experimented with the kit lens (18-55mm) that came with the camera and also bought an EF 50mm f/1.8 II lens as well. I've got some pretty decent shots out of these as a beginner as well.

I am wanting to start to take some better quality images and wondered if someone could point me in the right direction as to what would be the next lens I should move to. I am not certain if I need to add a zoom lens to my kit (we attended a christening this weekend and I missed a lot of the action from our position in the middle of the church). Alternatively, if not a zoom lens then perhaps a better quality version of what I already have?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Budget is circa 300 but could be stretched if there is a real gem out there

Many thanks

Images

hi first the kit lens is not a bad lens and to be be honest if you are wanting to take shots in a church then you are looking at something in the order of a 70-200 f2.8 to get really good shots you may get by with the f4L with "IS" so you have to think how much you want to spend. had i been you i would have got them to pose after the christening and used an external flash.

if you want a good budget zoom then the 55-250is is a great buy but it is limited when in low light you will have to up the ISO .

if you dont shoot in RAW then i would say start now as it can recover detail in some shots. if you dont have an external flash then i would also be looking at one of these too as it will really improve indoor shots but you will have to learn how to use bounce flash which will soften the flash effect and also get a good diffuser. good luck