Default First Buy Question

Hi,

I am relatively new to photography, but would like to get into using dSLRs. My problem is that I have a buddget of round £550 so is it better to have a more exensive camera body and a cheaper lens, or a cheaper camera body and a better lens?

Also any recommendations would be greatly appreciated! I mostly do sports photogaphy and filming, if thats of any help.

Thanks

Images

Hi Matt
    Welcome to the forum,
    A question first, what are you planing to photograph
    There is nothing worse than a sharp image of a fuzzy concept.. Ansel Adams

In a perfect world, what youíre looking for is an affordable camera body capable of delivering good results, combined with a lens that offers a strong optical performance. You could choose an entry-level DSLR such as Pentaxís K-30 or Canonís 600D, and receive little change if you choose it with a basic 18-55mm kit lens.

The better bet would be to buy just the body and then look for a fast standard zoom that fits your budget. If you were to buy the Pentax K-30 (body only) for £369 and pair it with the Sigma 18-50mm f/2.8-4.5 DC OS HSM lens, itís a combination thatíll cost £519. Buying the Canon 600D with the same lens, albeit in Canon fit, works out at £579. Weíd choose the Pentax K-30 and Sigma lens combo. After all, the K-30 won our Best APS-C DSLR award last month.

Images

hi when you buy a DSLR you buy into system so make sure that system fits your needs. get a short list and go and try them out make sure you have the buttons in the right place for you and that the menus are ok for you. dont settle for i will get used to it.

my advice is would be not to look at an entry level but one up from that already suggested canon's 600d even look at a 550d they have the same sensor. lens well the canon kit lens isnt a bad one but i would go for a sigma 17-70os it really is a good all round lens. good luck

yeah,i agree with you,my advice is would be not to look at an entry level but one up from that already suggested canon's 600d even look at a 550d they have the same sensor.