Default Windows Vista victim?

I used to open raw files from a D200 in PhotoShop Elements 6 .My PC has 4GB of RAM and was handling the files w/o any trouble.Then a few months ago,it started slowing down or freeze completely while performing some tasks,including opening raw files. My hard drive is only half-full. I did 3 things at this point:
    1- I deleted all the pictures from Photoshop and the hard-drive
    2- I un-installed Elements 6
    3- I used a software that detected a lot of "errors" and fixed them (!!)::confused
    After , I proceeded to re-install Elements 6 , up-loaded the pictures back in the PC. Results:
    I still could open the raw files from the D200 , but the "Organizer" was showing a lot of "pictures"that seemed to come from a lot of other files that were sharing the hard-drive.
    When I replaced the D200 with a D300,Elements6 refused to open the Raw files , although I updated my Adobe Camera Raw download.
    Was my copy of Elements 6 corrupted? Is it possible.
    I am contemplating getting rid of Windows Vista and buying Elements 8.Would this solve my problem?

As you probably already know, Vista is the operating system and elements is a photo editor, the 2 are unrelated.

How often do you de-frag your hard drive?, sadly few people seem to know what de-fragging is these days and others hardly ever do it, if you don't de-frag your hard drive at least fortnightly I'd recommend you start asap, think of your hard drive as a lot of jigsaw puzzles, de-fragging essentially puts all the pieces together, which means; less corruption & faster operating speeds etc.

There are utilitiy programes that can help (Ashampoo WinOptimize & Tune up are 2 programmes i use, IN addition to defragging once a week),

You say your hard drive is only half full but an as example if it's a 1 TB drive, that's one hell of a lot of stuff on your system.

Images

the above post is good info, plus you can also switch superfetch of in the services, and windows search, this will speed up your system also..

defo defrag though

PCs can often reach the point where there's so much unwanted stuff on them that they clunk to a snail pace. A complete wipe (I mean everything, including the OS) and manual program-by-program reinstall could be the answer. Make sure you save files but not programs onto external sources (DVD/HDD).

You have 4GB of RAM... Vista eats up about 700MB of that, and if you don't have the 64bit version installed you have access to about 2.5GB of that RAM maximum.

Hope you find a solution. Your photo files shouldn't fail to open with the correct Camera Raw (ACR) version and this is free to update via download. Programs can get corrupted due to viruses, accidental file deletion or corruption, so an uninstall and reinstall may help it along.

Or, and this is the fanboy in me speaking, buy a Mac.

Images

It's almost never a good idea to go for a complete OS reinstall - that often introduces it's own problems, and rarely solves the original one.

Default Complete re-install O/S

Quote Originally Posted by NRoberts View Post
    It's almost never a good idea to go for a complete OS reinstall - that often introduces it's own problems, and rarely solves the original one.
    I must say that I was quite impressed with Dell

I had bought my daughter a Dell laptop that came with a driver CD that when loaded indicated what drivers where to be be installed (it ran a diagnostic check).

The only time I got confused was with the sound which had two drivers, one for internet speech and they had to be loaded in the correct sequence to work.

Anyway, if anybody is thinking of doing a complete re-install, then it pays to look on the web first to see if there are any problems. Also, if you don't have a clue about computers, then get an expert to sort it for you - much cheaper in the long run

Chris

Images

i think i would look at some basics first run a full av scan and malware scan then use revo uninstaller on the elements and then run ccleaner now reinstall elements.