Question Nikon D40x -add lens or upgrade

I have a D40x, and enjoy using it generally for landscapes, but some close up work. I have an 18-105 vr zoom which I use a lot, and the kit 200 mm zoom. I would like some more zoom power, as I would like to do some wildlife shots.
    Should I:
    1. Go for a 300mm zoom
    2. Go for a 18-270 compact zoom
    3. Upgrade my ageing D40x and get new lens as in 2 above
    4. Consider buying a good superzoom eg Panasonic FZ200. Would this give me good results, as it seems a cost effective solution?
    Thanking you in anticipation for your help!

Hi Rover,

You don't mention the kind of budget you've got to play with, but you've got a couple of options, though it does really depended with how seriously you want to get into wildlife photography.

If you're on a relative budget, then a bridge camera such as the FZ200 is definitely worth considering. With a focal length than stretches to an impressive 600mm with a maximum aperture of f/2.8, it'll allow you to get really tight in on your subject, while the fast maximum aperture means added flexibility. The payback is the size of the sensor, being quite a bit smaller than a DSLR.

If you wanted to invest in a new lens for your D40X, we'd ignore the 18-270mm and 70-300mm options as they probably wouldn't get you as close as you want for wildlife. Instead, take a look at the Sigma 120-400mm f/4.5-5.6 DG OS HSM lens for around 650. One of the more affordable 'big zooms' out there, this lens will match the reach of the FZ200 thanks to the 1.5x crop factor of your, though it doesn't have quite the same maximum aperture.

This will be a good starting point, though down the line you might want to consider upgrading your camera body as your D40X is beginning to show its age a little, while the size of the body may feel a little unbalanced when paired with such a large lens.

Thank you for the info. I have decided to go down the super zoom route, and update the D40X later if I feel the need for improvement.