Default Panasonic Gx1 maybe but with what lens

Hi folks. I am looking at getting a m4/3 camera as a backup/lighter weight one to my DSLR. I've read around quite a few websites in the past week or so and I'm heading towards a Gx1 I think (though happy to hear other views!) because of a combination of size/quality/reviews. Sadly I'm not in OM territory.

However what is far less clear to me is what lens to team it with and I've not found any really good sites so far to help with this. A natural distrust of kit lens started me thinking and the new small 14-42 lens does seem to have some quality issues even if the size is attractive. I'm quite tempted with the older 14-42 however the 14-45 lens seems to get better reviews and I'd prefer the best quality of images available for my bucks. I realise there is a price hit however Panasonic are currently offering 50 cash back deals so if I bought the lens and the body I would actually get 2x cash back which would help.

Thoughts/pointers much appreciated - TIA
    Herby

Images

Smile GX1 with 14-45mm lens

I have a GX1 with the 14-45 lens and find its quality and sharpness to be very good. I also use the 20mm F1.7 pancake lens a lot as a carry about town lens. It is very sharp with little distortion and makes the overall footprint very small.

Appreciated - good to have someone else's views/experience. It certainly seems as though the 14-42 lens (in either flavour) might not be the best buy. Other views welcome though

BTW - worth saying maybe that landscapes are my main subject I guess

Herby
    Last edited by Herbalist; 16-11-12 at 08:47 AM.

Hi Herbalist,

We'll be featuring a test of the 14-42mm power zoom lens very soon, but as well as the 20mm f/1.7 pancake lens, if you can stretch your budget we can highly recommend the Leica 25mm f/1.4 MFT lens at around 439.

With the 2x crop factor of the GX1, it delivers a focal length equivalent of 50mm, while the ultra-fast f/1.4 maximum aperture is a great pairing, allowing you to get really nice, shallow depth-of-field shots and work in limited light.

Thanks Phil - appreciated

The power zoom does seem to have some real issues on quality based on some reviews. I don't think the budget will run to the lens you suggest - I am considering the pana 14mm pancake though from a point of view of size/carrying (and I tend to shoot wider rather than anything else

Herby