Default What is going wrong with my compact cam pics?

Can someone shed some light on my predicament here (pun intended) !!

Basically I have the HX9V Sony compact camera, which when it was new, was pretty much top of the range for compacts. I use it for video which I have no issue with at all, but today during my sons birthday party we set about using it, and it was producing pics like this (below) -

Ok so the lighting was fluorescent, so everything had a greenish cast on it, and the camera really suffered with moving children, not to mention the horrible red eye.

I use DSLR cameras so I understand that my main issue here is probably light, but what I don't get is on my facebook wall I see hundreds of pictures of people in night clubs etc using their compact cameras which take perfect images, some are even nice and sharp with very high detail, what am I doing wrong or is the camera at fault!!!

Pic below, blurred out the faces!

Flash didn't come on for this one, ISO 1600 - 1/125 & F4.5

There is nothing wrong with the camera. It's always light! Without it you're knackered. You should have changed the white balance and used force flash for indoors. You also need to post process your pics afterwards to enhance them. You can use Pixlr in my signature together with the tutorials to improve your images.

If people are taking better pics than you. Ask about the camera they are using plus its sensor size etc. Your Sony has a sensor the size of your fingernail, so is not so good in low light.

When shooting in doors I pre-focus in the area the kids will be. This cuts down on blurred pics.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Cool View Post
    There is nothing wrong with the camera. It's always light! Without it you're knackered. You should have changed the white balance and used force flash for indoors. You also need to post process your pics afterwards to enhance them. You can use Pixlr in my signature together with the tutorials to improve your images.

If people are taking better pics than you. Ask about the camera they are using plus its sensor size etc. Your Sony has a sensor the size of your fingernail, so is not so good in low light.

When shooting in doors I pre-focus in the area the kids will be. This cuts down on blurred pics.
    Thanks for the info, I expected this sort of answer, but what gets me is, and I will sound awful here, is some drunken people can take their camera out on a night and take brilliant pics on auto settings, no messing with white balance etc.

I don't mind changing the settings, but if I had the time to do it I would have taken the DSLR for a much better picture, just wondering if there is an issue I need to be aware of to get my sony to take pics worthy of sharing.

All I will say is there are an awful lot of apps that can fix most pics these days. My daughter plays around with her images before posting on FB etc lol

Whilst they may take shots of a well lit stage, you were shooting kids in poor light. I used to use two 500w lights from B&Q when shooting any children's parties

Light is the key. There is no magic small sensor compact camera that shoots in low light!

Cheers!

All I will say is there are an awful lot of apps that can fix most pics these days. My daughter plays around with her images before posting on FB etc lol

Whilst they may take shots of a well lit stage, you were shooting kids in poor light. I used to use two 500w lights from B&Q when shooting any children's parties

Light is the key. There is no magic small sensor compact camera that shoots in low light!

Cheers!
    Yer I have been using iPhoto to try and get a quick fix but the only way I can get it looking half decent is playing with the colour temp and then bringing it back using the tint slider, do you know of any other programs I could use apart from going into full editing like Photoshop

Try Pixlr Express in my signature. It's great fun

Images

hi can i ask a quick question is this a still from a video

Quote Originally Posted by wave View Post
    hi can i ask a quick question is this a still from a video
    No, upload from the camera.

Try Pixlr Express in my signature. It's great fun
    Just an update, I went into the manual settings tonight, put the ISO up to 1600 and add flash, shutter speed to 200 and it gave me what I wanted, brighter images with detail in lower light, just wish the auto modes would do something like this so my family could have used the camera to its best potential on the day.