Thread: November 5th..

Images

Default November 5th..

Hi Everyone, I hope to go to our local firework display this year, has anyone any tips on taking fireworks please and settings for my 600D, my lenses are 15-85 and 70-300, any comments would be greatly appreciated, many thanks ..Caroline

Plan your location. Are there obstructions or street lights nearby? Take some shots before hand at various settings (wide can be cropped later). Get the horizon straight as poss if including buildings (or fix in PS later). Manual focus to infinity or a building in the distance. Aperture F8 to F16. ISO - lowest to get least noise....

Now the clever bit... get a piece of black card or cap. Place in front of lens. Set shutter to bulb. Anticipate when the shell explodes in sky. Remove card or cap whilst it displays. Replace cap or card. Wait for next burst. That way you don't get them going up (boring). Take two or three removals then check image and so on...

Keep warm and dry - wrap camera in plastic bag and secure round lens with elastic band if raining.

Great fun lol

Images

hi i try most years if the weathers good what i do is set manual and use a shutter speed of 1/30 or 1/60 with an aperture of f7.1 and f4.5. its trail and error then. remember the light from fire works is very bright. by the way thats on a 550d with 18-55 havent tried my sigma so if weather ok this year will try again

Images

Hi Caroline
    Photographing fireworks is similar to light trails, much like your fair shots. When possible I use the method described by Chris. the other way use is .
    Set you camera to manual mode and lens to manual focus, focus the lens to infinity, iso to 100/200 aperture f11 shutter speed to 2 and 6 seconds, depending on the firework block off light going through your view finder, I use a baseball cap, take your shot using cable release/ or wireless remote,if your camera has mirror lock then this is a good time to use it... Graham
    There is nothing worse than a sharp image of a fuzzy concept.. Ansel Adams

Images

Hi Chris, Wave and Graham, many thanks for your comments, they are greatly appreciated! I hope the weather's dry on the 5th November so that I can try your techniques!..Caroline

Images

hi the problem is how much light there is around we go to a big show and its very intense so trial error seems the order of the day good luck

Images

Thanks Wave, I can see I am going to have a fun night on the 5th of November! all being well the weather will be ok!..Caroline