Hybrid View

Default Canon Family Portrait lens!

hi, I purchased an EF 50mm 1.8 II (cost around 85) which is huge step up from the standard lens which came with my canon, HOWEVER i'm finding its not wide enough to fit more than 2-3 people in any one shot - ie. portraits. I'd like to get into Family portraits so can anyone advise? Maybe I'm not using the lens well enough or there is something (around the same price mark) ideal for what I'd like the camera for ???? Any help / tips will be greatly appreciated!

Images

hi the 50 1.8 is a good prime lens for it price but it is fixed. I am assuming that you have an aps-c type camera ie xxxd or xd that comes with a 18-55 lens. if that so then your 50 1.8 is equivalent to 80mm full frame good size for portraits. but if you want groups then you will either have to move back or get a wider angle lens, these are more expensive depending on what quality you want

The 18-55 which came with your EOS should be fine for taking pictures of groups, although it is a budget kit lens, it is pretty sharp, just need to watch out for the crazy colouring it has a habit of doing!!

Images

the 18-55 would be ok but dont use it wide open and use a tripod

Wink

thanks wave & aircanman, I'll try to revert back to the lens which came with the camera. its a cheapy camera (in slr terms!), its a 1100d. could either of you recommend a decent lens but not extortionate in price? Thank you

Images

to be really honest the 18-55is isnt a bad lens is this the one you are using. the next step up you are looking at a sigma 17-70os or 17-50 tamron 17-50 or the canon 15-85. what problems do you see with your kit lens