Thread: Nikon 35mm lens

Default Nikon 35mm lens

Hi there,

I'm new to this forum and looking for some advice on a new lens.

I've had my Nikon D90 for a few years now, and I'm bored of the standard 18-105mm zoom lens that came bundled with the camera. So I am looking at getting a new lens; I think a 35mm fixed focal length.

I tried a few fixed lenses in a shop: the 50mm ones seemed like a very tight crop which I can imagine would get annoying. I mostly shoot things around London, street-scenes, architecture, that sort of thing. So I don't want to have to continually 'walk backwards' away from my subject to get the right crop.

Also the appeal of both these lenses is that they go to f1.8 which gives that amazing shallow depth of field, a technique I really like.

So if I go for a Nikon 35mm lens, it seems the only real choice is this one:
    http://www.jessops.com/online.store/...6070/show.html

As I don't really want to spend much more than the 100-200 mark.

So just thought I'd see if anyone has any recommendations. Is this a good lens to go for? It seemed pretty cool in the shop but I don't have much experience with different lenses as I've only ever used the 'default' option.

Also, the next 'step up' in terms of Nikon 35mm lenses is a huge jump in money. What does that extra cash get you? I notice some of them stop-down to f1.4. Is that much of a difference to f1.8? They didn't have any other lenses in the shop I went to, so I have only tried the basic Nikon 35mm and 50mm lenses.

Thanks for any help!!

Images

Hi Tim
    Welcome to the forum. Before Nikon released the 35mm I used the AF 50mm lens on my D90 with no complaints, this is a great lens at a great price, however when Nikon released the 35mm ( the one in your link) I bought it and since then i rarely use my 50mm. I find it a wee bit sharper with a better build quality and more suited to a cropped sensor camera. It gets used mainly for landscapes and architecture and low light shots. The F1.4 35mm is a professional lens, is a serious step up but costing around 1400???. Hope this helps ... Graham

Cool, thanks for the reply. Sounds like a great buy then. Didn't realise the step up to the f1.4 35mm was so much! That's an insane amount of money!

Images

As well as the 1.4 stop it comes with Nikons nano crystal lens coating and has 10 elements... Graham

The Nikon 35mm f/1.8 would be an ideal combination with your D90 and for the price, it's had to pick faults. With the 1.5x crop factor of your D90, this lens will provide a focal length equivalent of around 50mm in traditional 35mm film terms, matching pretty much what the human eye sees.

If you like the idea of an even fast f/1.4 optic, then the Nikon 35mm f/1.4G is a fantastic lens, though comes with a hefty asking price. A much more affordable alternative is the Samyang 35mm f/1.4. Its manual focus only, but the results are excellent, while it's also much more affordable at around 350.

http://www.samyang.co.uk/samyang-35m...-umc-lens.html

Images

Default nikon 35mm 1.8 lens

This lens gets my vote I use this lens with my D90 and 300s and for the purposes you mention
    for the price you cant go wrong.

Regards Mike.

yeah, Cool, thanks for the reply. Sounds like a great buy then. Didn't realise the step up to the f1.4 35mm was so much