Thread: comparison

Default comparison

Hi, am in turmoil,which digital slr,
    I am looking at the nikon d3100 and I am trying to work out what will give the best quality, i have at the present got an olympus compact with 14mp.
    So do i keep the trusty compact or upgrade?

Images

the DSLR has a bigger sensor so it should be the better choice. the d3100 is an entry level camera so you out grow it quickly.
    when you buy a DSLR you buy into a system so make sure that system fits your need. dont settle for i will get used to it, try them out if it feels right then you are a long way to it being right

To answer your first question, a DSLR will unquestionably give far better image quality than your compact, though you may not see a lot of difference with images taken in good light and displayed on Facebook.
    But should you upgrade? That's harder to answer.
    Are you dissatisfied with your current images and want better ones? Are you prepared to carry a bigger, heavier camera? A more complicated camera that will require learning how to use to get the best out of? Do you like to photograph challenging subjects such as sports that your compact is not good enough to capture? Do you aspire to pursue photography creatively and make it a hobby?
    If the answer to any og these questions is yes then get a DSLR, but if you just want a better point and shoot than what you've got now then you should probably choose differently.
    From your post it isn't clear why you are considering a DSLR over what you have now.