Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Default newbee with 700 to spend help

Hi, this is my first post, this week i've been given a 700 voucher to spend for my 25 yr service at work, i'm not really into photography TBH but thought it would be a wise investment and the missus loves it, it would be used for a bit of everything, outdoor/kids and parties etc, i;ve read a few reviews and its completly over my head tbh. My friend thinks i should go for a Nikon d3200. the D3100 looks good value though, whats the difference? how much better is it ? ive looked at the 5100 and the 7000, i'd have to put money towards it if i went for the 7000 though, if i go for the Nikon i have several friends i could borrow lenses off if need be. Am i likely to want something a bit better spec in a years time if i went for the 3100? would the D7000 be a bit over the top for me as i know nothing about settings and technical side.maybe a 3200 and a couple of lenses?? how much better is the 7000 to the 3200.? i need to buy new as its a voucher, just wondered what the people in the know would do if it was their choice. cheers

Images

hi and welcome first thing that jumps into my mind is do you need a DSLR there are lots of bridge type cameras that may suit you better

thanks for the reply,we do have a bridge camera as well, the missus isn't too impressed with it tbh as she is more used to shooting a DSLR. I think it might be something i could get into in the future.

Images

my advice is go try them see which feels better. remember when you buy a DSLR you buy into a system so make sure that system fits your needs. if it feels right then that is a long way to being right, dont settle for i will get used to it. also look at other manufactures

if it was your money how would u spend it eg lenses/camera etc. what other makes/models would u reccomend

Images

i am a canon shooter so putting it there terms i would look at a 600d or 650d there the next level up like the d5100 then i would have think about what i shot before getting another lens. so what do you shoot

Hi. Kids and family etc. Nice views outdoors etc bit of everything I suppose.

Images

when i got my canon i just used the kit 18-55 then i went on too get a 55-250is zoom and the canon 50 1.8 covers most things. it was only later that i upgraded things

Default October issue 192 WDC mag.

Well worth investing in October issue 192 WDC mag. where you can read about the best cameras under 700.

Interestingly Pentax does very well.

Cheers!

Last edited by Chris Cool; 31-08-12 at 09:22 PM. Reason: Correction

Buying your first DSLR is a bit daunting when spending so much money but you can be rest assured you can get a lot of camera for your money with a 700 voucher in your back pocket. We understand the reason why you’re looking to choose a Nikon DSLR and by borrowing lenses from friends it’ll give you a chance to experiment with different local lengths to find out the one that’s best for you in the future.
    At present the Nikon D7000 costs 899 with a kit lens but the other two DSLR’s you mention are more affordable options for a first time buyer and fit well within your budget. The D3100 has proven to be a popular DSLR since its launch. Its 14.2Mp sensor delivers good image quality results and the Guide mode is useful for beginners who’d like to learn the basics of how to operate a DSLR. Costing 117 less than the D3200, it doesn’t have all the latest features the latter provides however. The D3200 offers a higher 24Mp resolution meaning larger prints can be made and the ISO range runs from 100-12800. It shoots slightly faster too (4fps opposed to 3fps) and it adopts a faster EXPEED 3 image processor to handle its larger files. What’s more, the Guide mode is more intuitive for those who may not have used a DSLR before. If you opt for the D3200 with the 18-55mm kit lens it’ll set you back 480, leaving you with 220 spare to buy a new lens when you know what focal length to buy. We’ve created pages specially on our website that outline the key differences between the D3100 and D3200 so make sure you check out http://www.whatdigitalcamera.com/equ...and-d3200.html